Bill Berry (director)
Bill Berry is the American Producing Director for The 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle, Washington. Berry served as associate producing artistic director and casting director from 2002 through 2009. During that time, he directed productions of West Side Story (Seattle Times Footlight Award), Wonderful Town (Seattle Times Footlight Award, The Wizard of Oz, and Smokey Joe's Cafe. He will make his Broadway directing debut this summer as First Date the Musical moves into the Longacre Theatre. Berry’s directing work has been seen at theaters across the country, most recently at New Jersey’s Paper Mill Playhouse where he directed a critically acclaimed production of On the Town.
Directing highlights include Cabaret performed at The 5th Avenue Theatre, St. Paul’s Ordway Center (Ivey Award), San Jose’s American Musical Theatre, and Houston’s Theatre Under the Stars, as well as the smash hits First Date and RENT at The 5th.
From 2002 to 2009, he served as the producing director for The 5th Avenue’s education and outreach programs. During that time he significantly expanded the scope and impact of these initiatives, including spearheading the creation of Fridays at The 5th and The 5th Avenue Awards Honoring Excellence in High School Musical Theater, as well as substantially increasing the reach of the Adventure Musical Theatre Touring Company throughout the Northwest. These programs combined now serve 60,000 students annually. He also initiated the Show Talk series, which seeks to deepen the theater-going experience. Prior to his work at The 5th Avenue Theatre, Berry was a freelance theater artist based in New York City.
- "The 5th Avenue Theatre (David Armstrong, Executive Producer and Artistic Director; Bernadine Griffin, Managing Director; Bill Berry, Producing Director) | IBDB: The official source for Broadway Information". IBDB. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Berson, Misha (2007-05-27). "Entertainment | A passionate Tony for "West Side Story" | Seattle Times Newspaper". Seattletimes.com. Archived from the original on 2013-06-30. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Berson, Misha (2006-12-24). "Entertainment & the Arts | Misha Berson's Footlight Awards: Season's highs and lows | Seattle Times Newspaper". Community.seattletimes.nwsource.com. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Berson, Misha. "Seattle’s ‘First Date’ headed to Broadway | The Arts". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "On The Town". Papermill.org. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Berson, Misha. "'Rent': Young, robust cast sells 'Rent' revival | The Arts". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Liberty High's 'Little Shop' tops annual 5th Avenue Theatre Awards | The Arts". The Seattle Times. 2012-06-05. Archived from the original on 2013-06-30. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Education". 5th Avenue. Retrieved 2013-10-08.