Biology of the Cell
|Journal de Microscopie (1962–1974); Journal de Microscopie et de Biologie Cellulaire (1975–1976); Biologie Cellulaire (1977–1980); Biology of the Cell (1981–present)|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Edited by||René-Marc Mège|
|After 12 months|
Biology of the Cell is a peer-reviewed scientific journal in the field of cell biology, cell physiology, and molecular biology of animal and plant cells, microorganisms and protists. Topics covered include development, neurobiology, and immunology, as well as theoretical or biophysical modelling.
The journal first appeared in 1962 and was originally titled Journal de Microscopie (1962–1974). In 1975 the journal was retitled Journal de Microscopie et de Biologie Cellulaire (ISSN 0395-9260; 1975–1976). It was later retitled Biologie Cellulaire (ISSN 0399-0311; 1977–1980), becoming Biology of the Cell in 1981.
Articles were originally published in either English or French, with summaries in both languages.
The journal's 2014 impact factor was 3.506. Biology of the Cell is indexed by BIOBASE, BIOSIS, CAB International, Cambridge Scientific Abstracts, Chemical Abstracts Service, Current Contents/Life Sciences, EMBASE/Excerpta Medica, MEDLINE/Index Medicus, and ProQuest Information and Learning
Articles are primarily research and reviews. Themed series on specific topics are scheduled. They were: Stem Cells (2005), RNA localization (2005), Aquaporins (2005), Synapses (2007), Cell Cycle and Cancer (2008), Microtubules, RNA regulation (2008), Microbiology and Cell Biology (2010), Cilia (2011), Endoplasmic Reticulum (2012), Epigenetics (2012), Post-Translational Modification and Virus Intracellular Trafficking (2012), Optogenetics (2014), Microvesicles and Exosomes (2015), Systems Cell Biology (2015), Translating Canceromics into function (2015).
- Osborne HB. (2005) What's new for Biology of the Cell in 2005? (Editorial) Biol Cell 97: 1–2 (accessed 23 October 2007)
- JournalSeek: Journal de Microscopie et de Biologie Cellulaire (accessed 23 October 2007)
- NCBI Journals: Biologie cellulaire (accessed 23 October 2007)
- Institut André Lwoff: Library's Catalog Archived January 5, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. (accessed 23 October 2007)
- NLM: LocatorPlus: Journal de microscopie (accessed 24 October 2007)
- Biology of the Cell index page (accessed 30 December 2010)
- René-Marc Mège's first editorial as new editor (accessed 06 March 2017)