A baby announcement or birth announcement is a notice traditionally sent to friends and family by the parents of a baby within the first year of the baby's birth for the primary purpose of alerting friends and family to the birth of the baby. A baby announcement will typically include at least some or all of the following information:
- the baby's name
- one or more pictures of the baby
- the baby's birth date and time
- the baby's birth weight and height
- the location of the baby's birth
- the names of the baby's parents and other family members
- an expression of gratitude by the parents for the arrival of the baby
- an invitation to attend a baby shower for the mother of the baby
- Baldrige, Letitia (2009). "Chapter 13. Pregnancy, Birth, and Other Rites of Passage that Welcome a Child into the World". Letitia Baldrige's New Manners for New Times: A Complete Guide to Etiquette. Simon and Schuster. pp. 381–382. ISBN 978-1-4391-8854-5.
- Ingram, Leah (2005). "Chapter 2: The Well-Mannered New Parent". The Everything Etiquette Book: A Modern-Day Guide to Good Manners. Everything Books. pp. 19–20. ISBN 1-4405-2337-1.
- Martin, Judith (2011). "Chapter 2. Birth". Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior (Freshly Updated). W. W. Norton. pp. 47–51. ISBN 978-0-393-07909-8.