African red-eyed bulbul
|African red-eyed bulbul|
|resident, nomadic and migratory range|
The African red-eyed bulbul or black-fronted bulbul (Pycnonotus nigricans) is a species of songbird in the family Pycnonotidae. It is found in south-western Africa. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, and riverine scrub. It feeds on fruit (including Ficus), flowers, nectar, and insects.
The African red-eyed bulbul ranges from 19-21 centimeters (7-8 inches) in length and weighs 30-48 grams (1-1.7 ounces). Its call is a series of loud fluty notes, usually given only by the male. 
Taxonomy and systematics
The African red-eyed bulbul was originally described in the genus Turdus. The African red-eyed bulbul is considered to belong to a superspecies along with the Himalayan bulbul, white-eared bulbul, white-spectacled bulbul, Cape bulbul, and the common bulbul. The alternate name of 'red-eyed bulbul' is also used by the Asian red-eyed bulbul.
- P. n. nigricans - (Vieillot, 1818): Found in south-western Angola, Namibia and Botswana and western South Africa
- P. n. superior - Clancey, 1959: Found in central South Africa
P. n. nigricans; communal bathing at Tswalu Kalahari Reserve, with one or two keeping watch
Nominate race at Etosha N. P., showing relatively pale breast plumage
- BirdLife International (2016). "Pycnonotus nigricans". The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2016: e.T22712671A94342504. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2016-3.RLTS.T22712671A94342504.en. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "Pycnonotus nigricans (African Red-eyed Bulbul, Black-fronted Bulbul, Red-eyed Bulbul)". www.iucnredlist.org. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- "Black-fronted Bulbul (Pycnonotus nigricans)". www.hbw.com. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- Sinclair, Ian; Ryan, Peter (2009). Complete photographic field guide birds of Southern Africa. Struik Nature.
- "Himalayan Bulbul (Pycnonotus leucogenys)". www.hbw.com. Retrieved 2017-03-23.
- "Bulbuls « IOC World Bird List". www.worldbirdnames.org. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pycnonotus nigricans.|
- African red-eyed bulbul - Species text in The Atlas of Southern African Birds.
|This Pycnonotidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|