African red-eyed bulbul
|African red-eyed bulbul|
|p. n. nigricans|
|resident, nomadic and migratory range|
The African red-eyed bulbul or black-fronted bulbul (Pycnonotus nigricans) is a species of songbird in the family Pycnonotidae. It is found in south-western Africa. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, and riverine scrub. It feeds on fruit (including Ficus), flowers, nectar, and insects.
Taxonomy and systematics
The African red-eyed bulbul was originally described in the genus Turdus. The African red-eyed bulbul is considered to belong to a superspecies along with the Himalayan bulbul, white-eared bulbul, white-spectacled bulbul, Cape bulbul, and the common bulbul. The alternate name of 'red-eyed bulbul' is also used by the Asian red-eyed bulbul.
- P. n. nigricans - (Vieillot, 1818): Found in south-western Angola, Namibia and Botswana and western South Africa
- P. n. superior - Clancey, 1959: Found in central South Africa
P. n. nigricans; communal bathing at Tswalu Kalahari Reserve, with one or two keeping watch
Nominate race at Etosha N. P., showing relatively pale breast plumage
- BirdLife International (2016). "Pycnonotus nigricans". The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2016: e.T22712671A94342504. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2016-3.RLTS.T22712671A94342504.en. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "Pycnonotus nigricans (African Red-eyed Bulbul, Black-fronted Bulbul, Red-eyed Bulbul)". www.iucnredlist.org. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- "Black-fronted Bulbul (Pycnonotus nigricans)". www.hbw.com. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- Sinclair, Ian; Ryan, Peter (2009). Complete photographic field guide birds of Southern Africa. Struik Nature.
- "Himalayan Bulbul (Pycnonotus leucogenys)". www.hbw.com. Retrieved 2017-03-23.
- "Bulbuls « IOC World Bird List". www.worldbirdnames.org. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pycnonotus nigricans.|
- African red-eyed bulbul - Species text in The Atlas of Southern African Birds.
|This Pycnonotidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|