Black Square (band)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Genres||Ska, Punk, Reggae|
Black Square is a ska band from Honolulu, Hawaii. Originally formed in 2002 as a hardcore punk trio, Black Square expanded into a six-piece and currently consists of Josh86 (vocals, guitar), Brian Kim (Drums), Sweet Taylor Baby Cakes (bass), Jared (trombone, backing vocals), T.R. (alto saxophone, backing vocals), and Babyface (tenor saxophone, backing vocals). Since expanding to a six-piece set up Black Square has sought to blend ska, punk, rocksteady, reggae, and hip-hop influences to create a distinct ska sound that maintains the intensity and style of punk rock. The band's name is a reference to Kazimir Malevich's 1915 oil painting of a black square on a plain piece of canvas.
Black Square is one of Hawaii's few touring ska bands and has completed over 10 U.S. mainland tours. Along with these tours Black Square has also become a local favorite around their hometown of Honolulu. Although primarily from the island of Oahu the band often travels to Hawaii's outer islands such as Maui and the Big Island to perform. Recently Black Square has enjoyed national success and performed on the Vans Warped Tour 2011.
Black Square has released 4 full-length albums and has been featured on several compilations. Their music has also been featured on Fuel TV, Billabong Surf, Heavy Water, Wahine Blue, Board Stories, the feature film One Kine Day (2011), and the Hawaii International Film Festival award-winning documentary Noho Hewa (2008).
- End The Cycle (2004)
- One Glass Of Water (2007)
- Onward (2008)
- Black Square (2011)
- Hawaiian Punk: Volume 2 (Hawaiian Express Records)
- Send Ska! Hawaii's Best Of 2004 (Gardenia Lane)
- (http://www.mauitime.com/Articles-i-2008-10-02-185555.112113-Hip-to-be-Square.html) from Maui Time's article on Black Square, retrieved June 12, 2011
- (http://vanswarpedtour.com/band/black-square) from the Vans Warped Tour 2011 official website band listings, retrieved June 12, 2011
- (http://honoluluweekly.com/city-wise/2010/12/still-hip-to-be-square/) from a Honolulu Weekly online article detailing Black Square's booking on the Warped Tour, retrieved June 12, 2011
- (http://thehawaiiindependent.com/story/nextdoors-broadcast-420-to-feature-black-square-pimpbot-on-april-20) from Hawaii Independent's online article about Black Square, retrieved June 12, 2011
- (http://www.blacksquareband.com/home/) from the discography section of Black Square's official website, retrieved June 12, 2011
- (http://archives.starbulletin.com/2008/06/27/features/records.html) from the Star Bulletin's feature of Onward by Back Square
- (http://www.onekinemovie.com/flashsite.html) from the One Kinde Day official websites soundtrack listing, retrieved June 12, 2011
- (http://www.nohohewa.com/sponsors/) from the Noho Hewa official website's about the contributing recording artists sub-section, retrieved June 12, 2011