Blitz Kids (band)
|Also known as||Rig Up Explosive (2006-2009)|
|Genres||Alternative rock, pop punk|
|Labels||Red Bull Records|
The band was formed in 2006 by original members Joe James, Jono Yates, Nic Montgomery, Billy Evanson and Eddie Hawx. The band was initially named "Rig Up Explosive", but the name was changed to Blitz Kids in 2009. The name meaning was explained to be inspired by Joe's grandfather who was in a gang who named themselves 'Blitz Kids' during the events of World War II.
The band released two EPs, Scavangers and Decisions, prior to their debut album Vagrants and Vagabonds.
Evanson and Hawx left the band because of personal issues in 2012. Matt Freer joined the band on drums in later 2012 and they released a third EP entitled Never Die.
The band announced on 3 July 2015 that they have decided to part ways on good terms, however in the process of their break up the band cancelled an upcoming tour.
Tours and festivals
Significant tours Blitz Kids have embarked on include opening for D.R.U.G.S. in the UK in March 2011, opening for Mayday Parade in the UK in May 2011, and touring with Australian pop-punk band Tonight Alive in October 2012 across the UK. To support the release of Never Die Blitz Kids went on a headline tour of the UK in December 2012 with Evarose as main support on most dates.
Blitz Kids have played a number of UK festivals, including the Red Bull stage at Sonisphere Festival UK in 2010, Hevy Festival the same year, then the Introducing Stage at Slam Dunk in 2011 as well as Download Festival in the summer of 2011. They also played Radstock Festival in Liverpool in March 2013.
In January 2013, Blitz Kids were named the support band for American pop punk band We The Kings tour of the UK. Almost straight off the back of this tour they were named main support for Lower Than Atlantis's tour of Europe. This tour came just days after being announced to be playing Download Festival and Slam Dunk Festival. In April 2013 the band parted with Hassle Records and signed with Red Bull Records, and, along with Big Sixes, supported the British rock band Canterbury on their UK tour, before Canterbury then went on to tour Europe without Blitz Kids. Later in the year the band was a support act for rock band Mallory Knox. After that tour they were named as main support for pop punk band All Time Low across Europe in February and March 2014. In August 2014 they played at Merthyr Rock, along with Reel Big Fish and Anti-Flag. In late September/early October 2014, Blitz Kids had their own headline tour, supported by Natives and Scholars.
The band announced a summer 2015 UK tour stating it'd be the last for a while. On 3 July, it was announced that the band had broken up and that the summer tour was cancelled, but the band performed two farewell shows in October 2015. Blitz Kids broke up on 10 October 2015. 
- Joe James – vocals (2006–2015)
- Jono Yates – guitar, backing vocals (2006–2015)
- Nic Montgomery – bass, backing vocals (2006–2015)
- Matt Freer – drums (2012–2015)
- Eddie Hawx – drums (2006–2012)
- Billy Evanson – guitar (2006–2012)
|Blitz Kids discography|
|2011||Vagrants & Vagabonds|
|2014||The Good Youth
|2011||"Story"||Vagrants & Vagabonds|
|2012||"Never Die"||Never Die|
|2013||"On My Own"||The Good Youth|
|"Run For Cover"|
Nominations and achievements
- "Nicola Craig Tumblr: 2011 Blitz Kids, Southampton". Nicola Craig. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "BLITZ KIDS LOSE TWO MEMBERS". Punktastic. 6 May 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Carter, Emily. "Blitz Kids announce split: "It is time for us to take our leave"". Kerrang.com. Kerrang!. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Reid, Sean (2009-08-20). "Blitz Kids To Support D.R.U.G.S. on UK Tour". Alter The Press!. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Kerrang! Mayday Parade confirm support for UK tour". Kerrang.com. Archived from the original on 18 October 2012. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Blitz Kids Announce New Mini-Album & Headline Tour | News | Rock Sound". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Kerrang! Blitz Kids announce rescheduled tour dates". Kerrang.com. 28 November 2012. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Sonisphere Stage Times 2010 | News, Top Posts". Metal Hammer. Archived from the original on 5 April 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Hevy Festival Adds More Names! | News". Metal Hammer. Archived from the original on 6 April 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Slam Dunk 2011 Stage Times | News". Metal Hammer. Archived from the original on 13 April 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Download Announce 43 New Bands | News". Metal Hammer. Archived from the original on 14 April 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Blitz Kids confirmed for Radstock Festival". Wiseblood Management. 2012-12-12. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Blitz Kids And Natives To Support We The Kings In January | News | Rock Sound". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "BLITZ KIDS ‘Never Die’". Caught in the Crossfire, November 5th, 2012 Emma Wallace
- "And the nominees are..." Kerrang.com. 4 May 2011. Archived from the original on 4 July 2011. Retrieved 30 April 2013.