This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Blues Foundation is an American nonprofit corporation, headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee, that is affiliated with more than 175 blues organizations from various parts of the world. Founded in 1980, a twenty-five person Board of Directors governs the foundation whose stated mission is to preserve blues heritage, celebrate blues recording and performance, expand worldwide awareness of the blues, and ensure the future of the uniquely American art form.
On its formation, the foundation organized the annual W. C. Handy awards to "give recognition of the finest in blues performances and recordings." The awards have since been renamed The Blues Music Awards. The BMAs are generally recognized as the highest honor given to blues musicians and are awarded by vote of Blues Foundation members.
The foundation established the HART Fund (Handy Artists Relief Trust) for blues musicians and their families in financial need due to a broad range of health concerns. The Fund provides for acute, chronic and preventive medical and dental care as well as funeral expenses.
On October 1, 2015, Barbara B. Newman succeeded Jay Sieleman as president and Chief Executive Officer of the Blues Foundation.
- Block Magazine
- Delta Cultural Center
- Ground Zero (blues club)
- Inland Empire Blues Society
- Kentuckiana Blues Society
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- Knuckleheads Saloon
- "Keeping the Blues Alive Award - Blues Foundation". Blues.org. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Blues in the Schools - Blues Foundation". Blues.org. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Hart Fund - Blues Foundation". Blues.org. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "The Blues Foundation". Blues.org. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "The Blues Foundation Selects New President & CEO | The Blues Foundation". Blues.org. 2015-08-19. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- Official website
- Don Waller (2 May 1998). "The Foundation of the Blues". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. pp. 41–42. ISSN 0006-2510.
|This article about a music organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|