Bo Jiang (NASA researcher)
Bo Jiang, a contract researcher working on "source code for high technology imaging" at NASA's Langley Research Center, was arrested under a charge of lying to federal officer on March 16, 2013 at Dulles International Airport on his planned one-way journey to return to China. He was accused of espionage by Representative Frank Wolf, and was investigated for possible violations of the Arms Export Control Act. An affidavit claimed that on a prior occasion, Jiang had taken a NASA laptop containing sensitive information to China.
Jiang was released on May 2, 2013, after a plea agreement in which he admitted guilt to a single charge of misuse of Federal office equipment to download copyrighted movies, television shows and pornography.
Arrest and Plea Bargain
On March 28, 2013, a U.S. Judge ordered Jiang released after a federal prosecutor acknowledged there was no evidence that he possessed any sensitive, secret or classified material. Jiang's lawyer said congressman Wolf was making his client a "scapegoat" and the subject of witch hunt.
On May 2, 2013, prosecutors dropped a felony charge of lying to federal investigators. Jiang pleaded guilty to a single misdemeanor count of misusing government office equipment and was sentenced to time served - about seven weeks. In his plea agreement, Jiang acknowledged violating a NASA regulation governing use of government office equipment by downloading copyrighted movies, television shows and sexually explicit images on the NASA-owned laptop.
On October 26, 2015 Congressman John Culberson announced the indictment of two Langley Research Center supervisors, accusing them of complicity in "espionage" in the affair. However no evidence of espionage was ever presented.
- Lambidakis, Stephanie (19 March 2013). "Update: NASA researcher arrested on China-bound plane". CBS Interactive Inc. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Howard, Jacqueline (18 March 2013). "Bo Jiang, Former NASA Contractor, Arrested By FBI On Plane To China". Huffington Post. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Sizemore, Bill (3 May 2013). "Chinese scientist freed after felony case collapses". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- Sizemore, Bill (28 March 2013). "Chinese ex-NASA worker to be released pending trial". Hamptonroads. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Dujardin, Peter (21 March 2013). "Attorney: Former NASA contractor subject of 'witch hunt'". Daily Press. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- "NIA STATEMENT ON THE RELEASE OF DR. BO JIANG". 3 May 2013. Retrieved 10 Nov 2013.
- Culberson, John (29 Oct 2015). "Culberson Reaction to Indictment of NASA Supervisors". SpaceRef. Retrieved 29 Oct 2015.