Boar's Head Provision Company
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Industry||Delicatessen meats and cheeses|
|Founded||Brooklyn, New York, 1905|
|Headquarters||Sarasota, Florida, United States|
|Products||Franks, Deli Meat, Cheeses, Hummus, Condiments|
Boar's Head (also, Boar's Head Provisions Co., Inc. or Frank Brunckhorst Co., LLC) is a supplier of delicatessen meats, cheeses and condiments. The company was founded in 1905 in Brooklyn, New York, and now distributes its products throughout the United States. It has been based in Sarasota, Florida, since 2001.
Company founder Frank Brunckhorst began distributing cold cuts under the Boar's Head name in 1905. By 1933, distribution of Boar’s Head products had grown, and Brunckhorst and his partners, Bruno Bischoff and Theodore Weiler, decided to open a manufacturing plant. The first plant was started in a small building in Brooklyn with only three employees.
Brunckhorst died in 1972. During the 1990s, the expanding company added processing plants in Virginia, Arkansas, and Michigan, and it began to shift its strategy toward its current business model that stresses exclusive relationships with major supermarket chains. In 2001, the company moved its headquarters from Brooklyn to Sarasota, Florida, in part because of its exclusive relationship with the Publix supermarket chain in Florida.
For many years, the voice-over in Boar's Head commercials was supplied by the well-known voice performer Joseph Sirola. In 2008, the company opened an "experimental" retail outlet in Brooklyn, which closed the following year.
Boar's Head sells cheeses and many common meats, such as black forest ham, roast beef, and salami. In August 2009, Boar's Head released its "EverRoast® Oven Roasted Chicken Breast" with a national marketing campaign, and in 2012 launched its "Bold" line of globally inspired meats and cheeses., The company also sells a line of condiments, including barbecue sauce, horseradish, and mustard.
- Curtis, Bryan. "Meat of the People". Slate. Slate. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Theodore R. Weiler (obituary)]". The New York Times. November 2, 1987.
- "Growth of Boar's Head". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. July 29, 2002.
- Hielscher, John (April 24, 2001). "Boar's Head Moving to Sarasota". Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
- Armstrong, Mike (July 30, 2009). "Dietz & Watson takes issue with Boar's Head business tactics". The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- "Metro Business Briefing; Boar's Head Moving". The New York Times. April 24, 2001.
- Haun, Harry (August 21, 2014). "Joseph Sirola: A Late-Life Broadway Producer Hits It Big". The New York Observer.
- Rubenstein, Dana (September 11, 2008). "Boar's Head Experimental Storefront Opening in Brooklyn". The New York Observer.
- Gregerson, John. "Brooklyn Deli Shrouded in Mystery: Boar's Head Meats new R&D kitchen masquerades as a neighborhood deli". QSR Magazine.
- Voris, Robert (July 30, 2009). "Boar stiff! F. Martinella Deli closes on Court Street". The Brooklyn Paper.
- "Boar's Head Brand® Launches Boar's Head Bold, Globally Inspired Line of Deli Meats and Cheeses". American City Business Journals. American City Business Journals. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- Boar's Head corporate web page at boarshead.com