Boghall and Bathgate Caledonia Pipe Band
|Boghall and Bathgate Caledonia Pipe Band|
|Location||West Lothian, Scotland|
|Pipe major||Ross Harvey|
|Drum sergeant||Gordon Brown|
|Tartan||Ancient Hunting Fraser|
Cowal Highland Gathering Champions: 1994, 2000, 2010 & 2012
Scottish Champions: 1986, 1987
British Champions: 1983 & 1986
European Champions: 1989, 2003 & 2012
World Pipe Band Championships Runner-Up: 1982, 1983, 1994 & 2013World Drum Corps Champions: 1981, 1982, 1983, 1986, 2001, 2012
The Boghall and Bathgate Caledonia Pipe Band is a pipe band from West Lothian, Scotland which formed in 1972. The band has competed in Grade 1 since being promoted to that level in 1980. Throughout its competitive history, the band has not won the World Pipe Band Championships, though it has been runner up four times.
In 1972, a few townspeople of Boghall in West Lothian decided that they would try to form a pipe band. An advertisement was put in the local newspaper for young people wanting to learn the pipes or drums, and a group of primarily young players began practising at a Bathgate school. As with many youth bands, numerous adults and committee members from the community were necessary to keep the band running during its early years.
The band rose quickly through the lower grades and a Novice grade band was created in 1977 to handle additional youth who were joining the band. By 1978, the original band had won the Champion of Champions title in Grade Two while the Novice band was upgraded to Juvenile.
The senior band was promoted to Grade 1 in 1980, and throughout the subsequent decade its drum corps won every single major drumming prize. The band as a whole proceeded to win the Scottish, British and European Championships during that decade.
The band travelled to Ontario in 2013 for the 50th anniversary of the Cobourg Highland Games, to compete and perform in concert. Individual members of the band have also been successful in solo competitions.
- Bobby Allan (1972)
- Kenny Watson (1972)
- Bob Martin (1972–1986)
- Craig Walker (1986–1996)
- Ross Walker (1996–2015)
- Ross Harvey (2015- )
- David Steadman (1972-1978)
- Tom Brown (1978–1992)
- Gordon Brown (1992- )
- Debut Album (1984)
- The Rubik Cube (1989)
- Inspired In Belfast (2001)
- In Concert (2004)
- Forte (2013)
- "History". Boghall and Bathgate Caledonia Pipe Band. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Grade 1 Pipe Corps". Boghall and Bathgate Caledonia Pipe Band. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "Grade 1 Drum Corps". Boghall and Bathgate Caledonia Pipe Band. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "Boghall and Bathgate star in Canada!". Boghall and Bathgate Caledonia Pipe Band. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "Boghall & Bathgate coming to Cobourg, IndiOntario, in June". pipes - drums. 2 December 2012. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from all at Boghall and Bathgate!". Boghall and Bathgate Caledonia Pipe Band. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "Awards". Boghall and Bathgate Caledonia Pipe Band. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Boghall and Bathgate Caledonia 2013 Results". RSPBA. Retrieved 25 December 2013.