This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founder||Andy Roberts, Katherine Sears, Heather Ludviksson and Ken Shear|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Seattle, WA|
|Publication types||Books, E-books|
|Imprints||Forsaken, Gravity, Edge, Entice, Vox Dei|
Booktrope (founded 2010, ceased operations 2016) was a Seattle-based hybrid publisher which specialized in community-based team publishing. Applying a "team publishing" model, under which authors, editors, designers and marketing managers shared revenue, the company published approximately 1000 books in print and ebook formats. It ceased operations as of May 31, 2016.
Booktrope grew rapidly from its founding in 2010 until 2016, publishing many books that made best seller lists and giving hundreds of new authors opportunity to release works. The company was selected for Y Combinator in winter, 2015, having previously won the Seattle Angel Conference competition in November 2013. The company attracted attention for innovation in publishing It raised approximately $2.2 million from investors during the time period 2010-2015.
In April, 2016, Booktrope's management determined that its business model was no longer financially viable due to changes in the book market, and conducted a managed shutdown of the business, paying authors and other creative team members all royalties earned and providing source files that authors could use to republish their books.
- "Booktrope | CrunchBase". CrunchBase. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "A New Approach to Publishing | Seattle Magazine". Seattle Business Magazine. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- "Team publishing startup Booktrope to shut down, citing revenue shortfall". Geekwire. 2016. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Ha, Anthony. "YC-Backed Booktrope Rethinks Book Publishing". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- "Startup Booktrope is Winner of Fourth Seattle Angel Conference Investment Competition". www.seattleangelconference.com. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- "Thinking of the children". The Economist. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- Konrath, Joe (2013-07-10). "A Newbie's Guide to Publishing: Guest Post by Katherine Sears". A Newbie's Guide to Publishing. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- "How Booktrope Turned a Free Ebook Into A Bestseller". Digital Book World. 2013-06-24. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- Vinjamuri, David. "How Hybrid Publishers Innovate To Succeed". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- "Booktrope | crunchbase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- "Team publishing startup Booktrope to shut down, citing revenue shortfall". GeekWire. 2016-04-30. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- "Booktrope To Shut Down Operations". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2017-03-27.