Hughes during his tenure at Oregon State.
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||May 23, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Bloomington, Illinois|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||185 lb (84 kg)|
|High school:||Bloomington (IL)|
|NFL draft:||2009 / Round: 5 / Pick: 148|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2013|
Brandon D. Hughes (born May 23, 1986) is an American football cornerback who is currently a free agent. After playing college football for Oregon State, he was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He has also played for the Philadelphia Eagles and the Cleveland Browns.
Hughes redshirted during his first year playing for Oregon State in 2004. He became a starting cornerback for the Beavers in his redshirt freshman season. Hughes and two other players were ejected from a November 10, 2007, game against Washington for a skirmish after a play. He recorded 57 tackles and 12 pass deflections in 2007. Hughes was named to the Jim Thorpe Award watchlist before his senior season in 2008. He was selected to the 2009 East–West Shrine Game following his college career in which he recorded 178 tackles and three interceptions.
San Diego Chargers
After running the 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds at the 2009 NFL Scouting Combine, Hughes was selected by the San Diego Chargers in the fifth round (148th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft. He signed a four-year contract on June 20, 2009. After suffering a knee injury in a preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons, he was placed on injured reserve on September 1, 2009. He was released during final roster cuts in September 2010.
New York Giants
Hughes was signed off the Giants' practice squad by the Philadelphia Eagles on November 23, 2010, to fill the slot vacated after cornerback Ellis Hobbs was placed on the injured reserve. He played in one game in 2010, the final game of the season as the Eagles rested their starters in preparation for the playoffs. In 2011, Hughes played in 13 games, started one, and recorded 16 tackles throughout those games. On September 23, 2012, the Eagles announced that they signed Hughes to a one-year extension. On September 7, 2013, Hughes was released by the Eagles. On September 10, 2013, Hughes was re-signed by the Eagles. On September 23, 2013, Hughes was released by the Eagles with an injury settlement.
- "NCHS hopes to even score against BHS". The Pantagraph. November 15, 2003. Retrieved 2012-07-28. (subscription required)
- Luther, Chad (September 30, 2005). "Men or Boys?: The Northwest Cup Opener". Scout.com. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- Luther, Chad (October 14, 2005). "OSU & CAL: Another Week, Another Shootout?". Scout.com. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- "Serna kicks five field goals as Oregon State win over Washington turns ugly". USA Today. November 10, 2007. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Norz, Dan (July 10, 2008). "Hughes named to Thorpe watchlist". Scout.com. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- "Texas A&M's Stephen McGee One Of 31 Additions To 2009 East-West Shrine Game". kbtx.com. December 22, 2008. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- "Hughes signs 4-year deal with Chargers". The Sporting News. June 20, 2009. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Pauline, Tony (February 24, 2009). "Combine Risers/Sliders: DBs". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Kirkpatrick, Chris (April 27, 2009). "Beavers make history with seven chosen". Corvallis Gazette-Times. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- "Texans deal DT Johnson to Chargers". The Sporting News. August 31, 2009. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- "Chargers welcome Little League world champions". The Sporting News. September 1, 2009. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Armstrong, Kevin (September 10, 2010). "New York Giants RB Ahmad Bradshaw relishes starting role, says he and Jacobs are 'still brothers'". The New York Daily News. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Eagles sign Cornerback, Place Hobbs on IR, Philadelphia Sports Daily, November 23, 2010.
- Ford, Bob (January 3, 2011). "Bob Ford: For Eagles, resting starters isn't the best way to prepare for playoffs". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2012-07-29.