Breathe (New Zealand band)
|Origin||Wellington, New Zealand|
|Associated acts||Dead End Beat|
|Past members||Andrew Tilby
Breathe was a rock band from Wellington, New Zealand, consisting of Andrew Tilby (vocals, guitar), Richard Small (guitar, vocals), Pet Johnson (bass guitar), Steve Gallagher (keyboards) and Guy Fisher (drums). The band was formed in the mid-1990s by Hutt Valley school friends Small, Tilby, Fisher and Gallagher, with the addition of Johnson.
Breathe independently released a 7" single and a CD EP, Things Like These, before signing to the independent Auckland record label, Felix. In 1996, they released the Smiley Hands CD EP before taking a break to record their first album Pop Life, which was again released on the Felix label, with distribution through BMG. The band toured throughout New Zealand for seven months in 1998, eventually appearing as support on the Exponents Summer Tour, where their live show captured the attention of Sony Music NZ who signed the band a few weeks after its end.
Andrew Tilby won the "Tui" as Most Promising Male Vocalist at the 1999 New Zealand Music Awards.
While Breathe were signed to Sony they released their second album, Don't Stop The Revolution, in 2000. The title track, "Don't Stop The Revolution", reached number 6 in New Zealand charts while "Landslide" reached 28.
|1998||Pop Life||Felix (through BMG)||-||-||74321 571462|
|2000||Don't Stop the Revolution||Sony Music||-||-||4989447.2|
|1995||Things Like These||Prototype Publications||-||-|
|1996||Smiley Hands||Felix (through BMG)||24||-||74321 424522|
|Year||Single||Album||NZ Singles Chart|
|1995||"Dive Tower'" (7" vinyl)||-||-|
|1998||"Started Something"||Pop Life||-|
|"Purple'" (Radio/TV Single only)||-|
|2000||"Landslide"||Don't Stop the Revolution||28|
|"Don't Stop The Revolution"||6|
|"When The Sun Comes"||-|
- "Breathe | Amplifier NZ Music". www.amplifier.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "Breathe (4) - Things Like This". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "Breathe (4) - Pop Life". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "1999 Winners « Vodafone New Zealand Music Awards". Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- Baillie, Russell (August 4, 2000). "Breathe: Don't Stop The Revolution". New Zealand Herald. ISSN 1170-0777. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "Breathe (4) - Don't Stop The Revolution". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "Breathe "Landslide"". 5000 Ways to Love You. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "Dead End Beat :: Dead End Beat — Salient". salient.org.nz. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "Dead End Beat: Don't Stop the Evolution @ NZ Musician". www.nzmusician.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-11-06.