Brian Palmer (social anthropologist)
New York City, United States
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
Brian Charles William Palmer (born 1964) is a social anthropologist and scholar of religion at Uppsala University.
Born in Brooklyn, New York, Brian Palmer graduated valedictorian of his class at Stuyvesant High School, and later he received his doctorate at Harvard University in 2000 with the dissertation Wolves at the Door: Existential Solidarity in a Globalizing Sweden, was lecturer on the Modern West until 2004. He was also the university's head tutor on religion. In 2002 he was voted "best lecturer" at Harvard University.
Brian Palmer currently lives in Stockholm.
Brian Palmer currently teaches at Uppsala University in Sweden, while also lecturing widely outside the university. Previously he held the Torgny Segerstedt Guest Professorship at Gothenburg University. Some of his works were focused on Sweden such as the country's form of socialistic individualism. He maintained that in this system, the presence of certain institutions creates a level of security for citizens, which paradoxically also leads to more freedom. He also explored the incidence of social dislocation, proposing that the countryside is itself a site of historical transformation, generating social relations, and demographic changes.
- Global Values 101: A Short Course. USA: Beacon Press. 2006. ISBN 0807003050.
- George W Reinfeldt : konsten att göra en politisk extreme makeover. Sweden: Karneval förlag. 2006. ISBN 9197603147.
- "Professors P - Research, University of Gothenburg, Sweden". Retrieved 14 February 2011.
university lecturer between 2000 and 2004
- Potier, Beth (2001-11-08). "Religion course touches a nerve". Harvard Gazette. Archived from the original on 28 May 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- "Brian Palmer". schema-root.org. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Mathews, Dan (2007). Committed: A Rabble-Rouser's Memoir. New York: Atria Books. p. 200. ISBN 978-0-7432-9187-3.
- ManssonS, Sandra (2010-05-18). "Brian Palmer Lecture, Civic Courage: Making a Difference and Paying a Price". Democrats Abroad. Archived from the original on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Robinowitz, Christina Johansson; Carr, Lisa Werner (2011). Modern-Day Vikings: A Pracical Guide to Interacting with the Swedes. Boston, MA: Hachette Book Group. ISBN 978-0-585-43441-4.
- Lem, Winnie; Leach, Belinda (2002). Culture, Economy, Power: Anthropology as Critique, Anthropology as Praxis. Albany, NY: SUNY Press. p. 246. ISBN 0-7914-5289-1.