|Nickname(s)||sbrugby, aba20, "Btown"|
|Residence||Santa Barbara, California|
|World Poker Tour|
Townsend began playing online poker at $0.50/$1.00 blinds but gradually moved up in stakes, eventually becoming a regular player in some of the highest stakes games online. By the mid to late 2000’s, Townsend was among the most highly respected professional online poker players in the world. Townsend appeared on season 3 of GSN's High Stakes Poker. He also appeared on NBC's Poker After Dark and won $120,000 by beating Doyle Brunson heads up. After considerable success in playing electrifyingly high-stakes games, he was featured on the front cover of the August/September 2007 issue of Cardplayer Magazine and November 2008 issue of Inside Poker.
Although better known to be a heads up and short handed specialist online, Townsend has participated in several live tournaments, including an in the money finish at a World Poker Tour no limit hold 'em event, and making a final table at a World Series of Poker circuit event. In 2014, Brian Townsend played at the World Series of Poker (for the first time since 2011) and finished 170th out of 6,683 players for a $44,728 payday. His total live tournament winnings exceed $230,000.
Since Black Friday Brian has spent less time playing live tournaments, and more time playing online. He prefers playing online poker, over the limelight of live tournaments. The flexibility of online poker games allows him to have a balanced lifestyle with lots of exercise and time with his dog (Maybe). He regularly participates in road running races and triathlons.
- The Official World Poker Tour Magazine Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Brian "sbrugby" Townsend Interviewed on Rounders". typepad.com. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "Brian Townsend On Day 2 of 2014 WSOP Razz $10,000 Championship - Poker News Video". cardplayer.com. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "Card Player Magazine article". Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "PokerPages.com Brian Townsend Profile". Archived from the original on 2008-03-16. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "PokerPages.com tournament results". Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "Brian Townsend Returns from WSOP Hiatus for Deep Main Event Run". pokerlistings.com. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "Brian Townsend. Poker Player". pokerplayer365.com. Retrieved 19 March 2017.