|Type||Non profit industry organization|
|Purpose||Developing broadband standards and specifications|
The Broadband Forum is a non-profit industry consortium dedicated to developing broadband network specifications. Members include telecommunications networking and service provider companies, broadband device and equipment vendors, consultants and independent testing labs (ITLs). Service provider members are primarily wire-line service providers (non-mobile) telephone companies.
The DSL Forum was founded in 1994 with about 200 member companies in different divisions of the telecommunication and information technology sector. It is used as a platform for companies that operate in the broadband market. Its initial main purpose was the establishment of new standards around digital subscriber line communication products such as provisioning. This cooperation has brought different standardizations for ADSL, SHDSL, VDSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL2.
Among its early design documents, the Forum created TR-001 (1996) system reference model, which together with later TR-012 (1999) core network architecture, recommended PPP over an ATM transport layer as the best practice for a DSL ISP. This was subsequently refined in TR-025 and TR-059.
Starting in 2004, the Forum expanded its work into other last mile technologies including optical fiber. On 17 June 2008 it changed its name to "Broadband Forum". DSL-related specifications, while still a key part of the forum's work, are no longer its only work. For instance, the forum produced work specific to passive optical networking (PON). Its Auto-Configuration Server specification TR-069, originally published in 2004, was adapted for use with set-top box and Network Attached Storage units.
In May 2009, IP/MPLS Forum merged with the Broadband Forum. It had promoted the frame relay and Multiprotocol Label Switching technologies. Technical work of IP/MPLS Forum continued in a newly created "IP/MPLS and Core" Working Group of the Broadband Forum. The historical specifications from the IP/MPLS Forum's predecessors, ATM Forum, Frame Relay Forum, MFA Forum, and MPLS Forum, are archived on the Broadband Forum's website, under IP/MPLS Forum specifications.
- "About the Broadband Forum: Forum History". Archived from the original on October 9, 2011. Retrieved September 24, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Chris Hellberg; Truman Boyes; Dylan Greene (2007). Broadband Network Architectures: Designing and Deploying Triple-Play Services. Pearson Education. pp. 19–20. ISBN 978-0-13-270451-9.
- "Q1 2006 Report" (PDF). March 12, 2006. Retrieved September 24, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "CPE WAN Management Protocol" (PDF). TR-069 Amendment 3. Broadband Forum. November 2010. Retrieved September 24, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Broadband Forum (2016-07-01). "TR-348 Hybrid Access Broadband Network Architecture" (PDF). Retrieved 2018-07-01. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)