Broadcom Crystal HD
Crystal HD has been available as single chip high-definition advanced media processors BCM70012 (codenamed Link) and BCM70015 (codenamed Flea); these chips are found on mini PCIe cards for purchase.
The BCM970012 supports hardware decoding of H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, WMV9 and MPEG-2 and the BCM970015 additionally supports DivX 3.11, 4.1, 5.X, 6.X and Xvid. VP8, VP9, Daala and HEVC are not supported.
The commercial relevancy of dedicated video decoding accelerators has been eclipsed by the launch of the Intel Core i-series, featuring an integrated GPU with hardware video decoding (formerly only widespreadly available in discrete GPUs); nevertheless, a small number of enthusiasts maintaining and upgrading their older computers, especially for HTPC use, kept a number of cards circulating in the used market.
Operating system support
The Crystal HD SIP core needs to be supported by the device driver, which provides the videos interfaces. One of these interfaces is then used by end-user software, for example Media Player Classic or GStreamer, to access the CrystalHD hardware and make use of it.
Broadcom has published a device driver for Linux under the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2. Broadcom also published application and library source code on a royalty-free basis under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), version 2.1
Crystal HD can be accessed through the Video Acceleration API interface via an experimental driver (however, it cannot be recovered from the linked archive).[unreliable source?] There is a GStreamer plugin available.
Related Broadcom technologies
- Release Notes Users.htm bundled with Windows driver
- "Broadcom Crystal HD in Kodi/XCMC wiki". XBMC/Kodi. Archived from the original on 2019-03-09. Retrieved 2021-01-11.
- "Kodi On Chromecast". Thursday, 9 November 2017
- Sebayang, Andreas. "Broadcom: Crystal-HD-Chip für Pine-Trail-Netbook-Plattform". Golem.de. Retrieved 2021-03-03.
- "Видеоакселератор Broadcom Crystal HD меряется силами с NVIDIA Ion". www.ferra.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 2021-03-03.
- "Crystal HD device driver".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2014-06-28. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Broadcom Crystal HD Support For MPlayer, FFmpeg - Phoronix". Phoronix. Retrieved 2021-03-03.
- "How to install the CrystalHD Video Decoder".
- "Saying goodbye to Apple TV". OSMC. Retrieved 2021-03-03.