Brooke Davis (writer)
|Born||7 July 1980|
|Education||2013, PhD, Creative Writing Curtin University 2004, University of Canberra, Bachelor of Communication (Hons), Professional Writing and Media Production|
Career and Education
Brooke Davis has worked as a travel writer, editor, and bookseller. Davis graduated with an honours degree from the University of Canberra (2004), winning the Allen & Unwin Prize for Prose Fiction, the Verandah Prose Prize, and the University Medal. Davis completed her PhD at Curtin University of Technology in 2013. During her time there, Davis received the 2009 Bobbie Cullen Memorial Award for Women Writers, the 2009 AAWP Prize for Best Postgraduate Paper, and the 2011 Postgraduate Queensland Writing Prize. Davis’ thesis investigated how the process of grieving is represented in ways that deconstruct and resist the unspoken social mores that govern it. The creative component of Davis' PhD was Lost & Found.
Davis’ debut novel, Lost & Found (Hachette Australia, 2014), tells the story of three characters living on the South West coast of Western Australia. Davis was inspired to write the story after the sudden death of her mother in 2007. Described as 'whimsically humorous' and 'a potent mix of childlike wonder and world-weary experience', Davis’ book sparked a bidding war at the 2014 London Book Fair, with rights being sold into 25 countries and translated into 20 languages.
In 2015 Lost & Found was awarded the ABIA General Fiction Book of the Year and the Matt Richell Award for New Writer as well as being short-listed for Debut Fiction at the 2015 Indie Book Awards.
- Davis, Brooke (2013). "From now on". Griffith Review. 47 (Looking West).
- Future Brooke, Mothers and Others, Pan Macmillan Australia, 2015
- Lost & Found, Hachette Australia (2014), Windmill Books U.K (2015), Penguin RH Canada (2015)
- Karl the Touch Typist, Rex:The Journal of New Writing Vol. 3 No. 2 2011
Critical studies and reviews of Davis' work
- Bishop, Alice (September 2014). "[Untitled review of Lost & Found]". Australian Book Review. 364: 48.
- 2009 Bobbie Cullen Memorial Award for Women Writers
- 2011 Postgraduate Queensland Writing Prize
- 2014 iBooks Book of the Year
- 2015 Matt Richell Award for New Writer
- 2015 ABIA Winner Fiction Book of the Year for Lost & Found
- "Brooke Davis TEXT Vol 16 No 2". textjournal.com.au.
- "Humanities: Schools & Departments". curtin.edu.au. Archived from the original on 12 April 2015.
- "OUR NEW GLOBAL PUBLISHING DARLING". thehoopla.com.au.
- "Book Review - Lost & Found by Brooke Davis", Booklover Book Reviews
- "Australian author Brooke Davis generates literary buzz with debut novel Lost and Found". ABC News.
- "Leading Edge Books - Indie Book Awards". Leading Edge Books. Archived from the original on 18 September 2015.
- "Australian Story". abc.net.au.
- "On stories of motherhood by Emily Harms and Chris Gordon". www.readings.com.au.
- "Lost & Found by Brooke Davis - Books".
- "Lost & Found by Brooke Davis". www.randomhouse.co.uk.
- "Lost & Found by Brooke Davis".
- Austlit. "Rex : The Journal of New Writing - AustLit: Discover Australian Stories". www.austlit.edu.au.
- "Curtin PhD helps Brooke Davis launch literary career". News and Events.
- "QUT - News". QUT.
- "Latest News".
- Susan Wyndham. "Andy Griffiths' 52-Storey Treehouse wins top Australian Book Industry Award". The Sydney Morning Herald.