Broome County Transit
BC Transit buses on the Binghamton University campus, May 2008.
|Headquarters||413 Old Mill Road, Vestal|
|Service area||Broome County, New York|
|Service type||bus service, paratransit|
|Fuel type||Diesel, Diesel-electric hybrid, CNG|
B.C. Transit's logo is that of the character Thor from the comic strip B.C., drawn by Endicott native Johnny Hart. The "B.C." is also based (very) loosely on one of the logos from that comic strip as well.
B.C. Transit was founded in 1968 when Broome County took over the assets of the private Triple Cities Traction Corporation, a takeover similar to those that took place in Rochester and Schenectady years prior. Unlike those city's transit systems, which became part of public benefit corporations, B.C. Transit is still owned and operated by the county (Department of Public Transportation) and is the largest such operator in Upstate New York (third largest overall in the state).
At the time of B.C. Transit's formation, they inherited the token stock of Triple Cities Traction Corporation and that company's predecessor, the Binghamton Railway Company. These same tokens, some dating back to the turn of the 20th century, circulated until B.C. Transit phased out the token at the end of 2005 when they went to electronic fare collection.
Routes and services
City of Binghamton
- 3 Park Ave
- 5 Vestal Ave
- 7 Clinton St
- 8 Front St
- 9 BU Advantage
- 12 Conklin Ave
- 15 Leroy St
- 17 Legacy Bay
- 28 Robinson St
Other Triple Cities
- 35M Endicott (Binghamton to Endicott via Main St)
- 35W Endicott (Binghamton to Endicott via Watson Boulevard)
- 35x Express (Binghamton to Endicott via Main St But bypasses Oakdale Mall)
- 35o Oakdale Mall (Binghamton to Oakdale Mall (same route as the other 35 routes but only as far as Oakdale Mall doesn't go to Endicott)
- 40 Chenango St
- 47 Vestal
- 57 Shoppers Special
- 51 Kirkwood Commuter
- 53 Corporate Park
- 55 Endwell Shuttle
- 59 West Corners Shuttle
Some routes that begin or terminate at BC Junction and/or Binghamton University continue as another route rather than turning around. For example, the outbound 5 Vestal from BC Junction becomes an inbound 15 Leroy upon reaching the BU Campus (likewise an outbound 15 Leroy turns into an inbound 5 Vestal at the University.) The same is true for:
- 3 Park and 23 Westside
- 17 Legacy Bay and 47 Vestal
Paratransit and other services
- B.C. Lift: Americans with Disabilities Act mandated service for those who are physically unable to ride regular fixed-route services and live within the B.C. Transit fixed-route area.
- OFA Mini-Bus: Similar to B.C. Lift, but intended for persons age 65 and over, physical disability is not required. Service paid for by Broome County Office for Aging and operated by BC Transit.
- B.C. Country: Dial-a-ride service for those who live in areas of Broome County not served by fixed-route transit service and meet certain other criteria.
Fares and passes
|Regular (6-64)||Senior (65+)/ Disabled/ Veterans|
|One Way Fare||$2.00||$1.00||Valid for any continuous one-way trip, includes one free transfer if requested.|
|12 Ride Card||$20.00||Valid for twelve one way rides, no expiration date.|
|22 Ride Card||$40.00||Valid for 22 one way rides, no expiration date.|
|One Day Pass||$5.00||Good for unlimited trips on a single calendar day.|
|One Week Pass||$25.00||Good for unlimited trips for seven calendar days.|
($44.00 for reduced fare passengers)
|Valid until midnight on the 30th day after first use.|
Most passes and ride cards are sold at Broome County Weis Market locations, BC Junction, and the BC Transit administrative office in Vestal. One day passes can only be purchased on the bus from the driver.
Persons with a valid Binghamton University or Broome County Community College ID card ride for free (although paid by the school). Full-time students attending Davis College, Elmira Business Institute, or Ridley-Lowell may purchase a discounted monthly pass for $44.00 with proof of enrollment. High school students can ride directly to and from school for no fare with their school ID card between the hours of 6-9am and 2-5pm weekdays.
- 1998/99 Orion Bus Industries 06.501 (Former CDTA units) 201,202,204,205,207-210
- 2000 Orion Bus Industries 06.501 801-819,821-823
- 2009-10 Orion Bus Industries 07.501 NG (Diesel and HEV models) 101-106 & 601-606