Ableson was raised in West Bloomfield Township, Michigan, and graduated from Birmingham Groves High School. During high school, he worked as editor of the Groves Scriptor, became an Eagle Scout, and appeared in several short Super 8 films produced by schoolmate Ted Raimi.
After graduating from Michigan State University with a degree in Telecommunications, Ableson worked for several years as a systems consultant and programmer. During this time, Ableson developed Open Diary, which launched on October 20, 1998. Ableson built the first system for blog comments, and innovated the use of friend's list privacy settings and activity feeds on the site.
- Macnamara, Jim (2010). The 21st century media (r)evolution : emergent communication practices. New York: Peter Lang. p. 48. ISBN 1-4331-0936-0.
- "BSA Troop 1022 Honor Roll". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2011-12-24.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Loughnanne, E. (2005). Net Success Interviews. Lulu. ISBN 1-4116-2698-2.
- Berman, A.S. (2000-09-07). "Open Diary lets people anonymously bare their souls". USA Today. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Seminerio, Maria. "The Open Diary Takes Off". ZDNet. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Seminerio, Maria. "Birth of an Accidental Community". ZDNet. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Richmond, Shane (2009-01-22). "What is a blog? How the technology shapes the medium". London Telegraph. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- "The Rising Popularity of Blogs". The Rising Popularity of Blogs. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Wikibooks:Web 2.0 and Emerging Learning Technologies/Open Diary
- A. M. Kaplan; M. Haenlein (February 2010). "Users of the World Unite! The Challenges and Opportunities of Social Media" (PDF). Business Horizons. 53 (1): 59–68. doi:10.1016/j.bushor.2009.09.003.
- M. Rehmani; M.I. Khan (March 2011). "The Impact of E-Media on Customer Purchase Intention" (PDF). International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications. 2 (3): 100–103. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Fouts, Jeff. "Social Media and All It's Glory". Social Media Club. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Day, Harvey (2019-03-20). "How the world responded to the Myspace data loss". BBC Three. Retrieved 2019-06-24.