Bully Creek Reservoir
|Bully Creek Reservoir|
Swallows hovering over Bully Creek Dam, overlooking Bully Creek.
|Location||Malheur County, Oregon|
|Primary inflows||Bully Creek|
|Primary outflows||Bully Creek|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||985 acres (399 ha)|
|Water volume||31,650 acre·ft (39,040,000 m3)|
|Surface elevation||2,500 ft (760 m)|
It is a crescent-shaped reservoir located 9 miles (14 km) west of Vale and a 45-minute drive from I-84. The reservoir and its dam have paved road access by Bully Creek Road from Vale W Highway. The reservoir was constructed by the Bureau of Reclamation in 1963 and has 985 acres (399 ha) with 7 miles (11 km) of shoreline and a total capacity of 31,650 acre feet (39,040,000 m3). The dam is a zoned embankment dam with a crest length of 3,070 feet (940 m), total height of 121 feet (37 m) and sits at 2,500 feet (760 m) elevation. The Bully Creek park is open April through October, has 33 campsites, a day use area with two covered shelters, a swimming beach and a two-lane boat ramp with dock.
Fish species include smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, black bass, rainbow trout, yellow perch, white, and black crappie. The reservoir is used as a resting place by migratory waterfowl with some ducks remaining to nest. Sparse vegetative cover of sagebrush and grass provides habitat for small mammals and birds.
Migrating birds flock the forested areas surrounding the reservoir. Loons, grebes, ducks, and hawks are often seen year round. Rock wrens and golden eagles are occasionally spotted in a nearby red rock formation.
- "Bully Creek Reservoir". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- The Bully Creek Extension was authorized as a part of the Vale Project by the Act of September 9, 1959 (73 Stat. 478, Public Law 86-248). "Irrigation, flood control, recreation, and the preservation and propagation of fish and wildlife are purposes of the Bully Creek Extension." Bureau of Reclamation, Pacific Northwest Regional Office. See 
- "Bully Creek Dam". U.S. Department of the Interior: Bureau of Reclamation. Accessed 3 dec 2008.
- "Bully Creek Dam Reservoir". Travel Oregon. Retrieved 3 dec 200. Check date values in:
- "Bully Creek Reservoir, Oregon". Public Lands Information Center. Accessed 3 dec 2008.