Burns & Wilcox
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Burns & Wilcox is an independent insurance wholesale broker and managing underwriter. The company offers over 300 insurance products and earned $140.1 million in revenue in 2010. Founded in 1969 by Herbert W. Kaufman, Burns & Wilcox now encompasses 37 offices in 24 states and one office in London, England. Its corporate headquarters is located in Farmington Hills, Michigan. Today, Burns & Wilcox remains a family run company with Herbert's son Alan Jay Kaufman serving as Chairman, President, and CEO.
Burns & Wilcox, now family-owned, was previously a public company. No one named "Burns" nor "Wilcox" was involved in the founding or growth of the company; the name was chosen by Herbert Kaufman because he thought it carried a strong professional undertone.
Burns & Wilcox specializes in excess and surplus lines of insurance and works with admitted and non-admitted carriers. The company also offers standard lines policies such as homeowners, automobile, and professional liability. The following are examples of excess lines products provided by Burns & Wilcox: Cemetery Coverage, Flea Market Vendor Coverage, Rodeo Coverage, Medical Marijuana Dispensary Coverage, and Miniature Golf Course Coverage.
H.W. Kaufman Financial Group
- Burns & Wilcox (insurance wholesaler)
- R.B. Jones (specialty insurance brokerage)
- Burns & Wilcox Re (reinsurance firm)
- Royal Premium (finance company)
- Minuteman Adjusters (Third-Party Administrator)
- US Reports (audit and risk management firm)
- In 2011, the National Association of Insurance Women named Melanie Elias, Director of Claims, International Claims Professional of the Year.
- Ernst & Young selected H.W. Kaufman Financial Group CEO, chairman, and president Alan Jay Kaufman as a regional winner in their Entrepreneur of the Year program for the Michigan and Northwest Ohio Business Services category in July 2011.
- Director of Professional Lines David Derigiotis teaches a "webinar" for Insurance Journal's Academy of Insurance.
Agents Market Source
Burns & Wilcox publishes a magazine named Agents Market Source that examines industry trends, marketing strategies, and product spotlights. The magazine features articles written by Burns & Wilcox employees as well as outside industry sources and appears twice annually with spring and fall editions.
- Opportunity Seen In 'New Market' For Allied Medical Professionals
- Residential Contractor Umbrellas: Tough Sell in Tough Times
- Business Risk Survival 101: A Simple Matter Of Extra Insurance Protection
- Asterisk Financial, Burns & Wilcox Introduce Personal Guarantee Insurance
- New Personal Guarantee Insurance Benefits Business Owners