Baltimore Orioles – No. 58
February 11, 1989 |
Sabana Grande de Palenque, Dominican Republic
|September 2, 2013 for the New York Yankees|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||7.71|
César Augusto Cabral (born February 11, 1989) is a Dominican professional baseball left-handed pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles of Major League Baseball (MLB). He also played in MLB for the New York Yankees.
Minor League Baseball
Cabral was originally signed for the Boston Red Sox by scout Luis Scheker, as an international amateur free agent and played in their minor league system through 2010. His professional career began in 2006, when he went 1–4 with a 4.54 ERA in 11 games (10 starts) with the DSL Red Sox. In 2007, again with the DSL Red Sox, Cabral went 5–4 with a 1.76 ERA in 14 starts. He pitched for the GCL Red Sox in 2008, going 2–5 with a 5.59 ERA in 11 games (9 starts), striking out 51 batters in 48 1/3 innings. In 2009, he went 1–6 with a 4.03 ERA in 15 games (9 starts) with the Lowell Spinners. He split 2010 between the Greenville Drive and Salem Red Sox, going a combined 4–0 with a 3.63 ERA in 45 relief appearances. That season, he struck out 80 batters in 79 1/3 innings.
Cabral was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 2010 Rule 5 Draft. He was claimed by the Toronto Blue Jays on waivers on March 12, 2011, only to be waived and claimed by the Rays on March 14. On March 28, he was returned to Boston per Rule 5 guidelines. He split 2011 between Salem and the Portland Sea Dogs, going 3-4 with a 2.95 ERA in 36 appearances. He had 70 strikeouts in 55 innings of work.
New York Yankees
The Kansas City Royals selected Cabral in the 2011 Rule 5 draft, and sold him to the New York Yankees. He suffered a stress fracture in his left elbow before the 2012 season and was placed on the 60-day disabled list. Cabral was sent outright to the minors on June 14, 2013.
Cabral was called up to the Yankees on September 1, 2013 when rosters expanded. He made his major league debut the next day against the Chicago White Sox, throwing a scoreless 8th inning allowing a hit and striking out two.
Cabral began the 2014 season with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He was again called up to the Yankees on April 8 when David Robertson went on the disabled list. As a relief pitcher in a game against the Tampa Bay Rays on April 18, 2014, Cabral gave up three runs and hit three batters before being ejected from the game by the home plate umpire Joe West, despite the objections of Yankees' manager Joe Girardi. Cabral was designated for assignment so the Yankees could promote Matt Daley. As of April 19, Cabral has been removed from the Yankees' 40-man roster. On October 20, 2014, Cabral elected free agency from the Yankees.
Cabral signed a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles in January 2015. Through his first 16 appearances in the minors that year (18 innings pitched), he didn't allow an earned run for a 0.00 ERA. On June 5, 2015, the Orioles promoted Cabral to the major leagues.
- "BR Minors". Baseball-reference.com. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours. "Tampa Bay Rays drawn to young pitcher Cesar Cabral's 'high upside' – Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- "Cabral Selected by Rays in Rule 5 Draft | Lowell Spinners News". Milb.com. December 9, 2010. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Jays claim lefthander Cabral off waivers from Rays". Tsn.ca. December 3, 2011. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours (March 14, 2011). "Tampa Bay Rays claim pitcher Cesar Cabral off waivers from Toronto Blue Jays – Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- "Yanks take one, trade for another in Rule 5 Draft | River Avenue Blues". Riveraveblues.com. December 8, 2011. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- "Untimely injury to keep Cesar Cabral out of action for foreseeable future". NY Daily News. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Cabral (elbow) in limbo for Yankees - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog". Boston.com. March 30, 2012. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Yanks bolster 'pen with trio of callups, one more on way". MLB.com. September 1, 2013.
- "Yankees designate Cesar Cabral for assignment, add Matt Daley". NJ.com. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
- "Minor League Transactions: Dec. 24-Jan. 8". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
- WMAR Staff. "Orioles reinstate C Matt Wieters from the disabled list". WMAR. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)