||This article has an unclear citation style. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (February 2013) (|
Dr. C. Balakrishnan (CBK) (1918–1997) was a famous plastic surgeon from India, who was a pioneer of modern plastic surgery in India, when he established second independent Department of Plastic Surgery in India, at the Medical College Hospital, Nagpur, in 1958.
In 1946, Capt (Dr.) C Balakrishnan was posted as a temporary commissioned officer at the No. 1 unit (commanding officer was Thomas Gibson (http://www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/biography/?id=WH0749&type=P)). He had joined the British Indian Army as an emergency commissioned officer. After Independence in 1947, he went to England to receive further training in plastic surgery where he worked with Thomas Pomfret Kilner and Sir Harold Gillies.
Dr. C. Balakrishnan returned from the UK in 1950 and he joined Government Medical College, Nagpur as a lecturer. The second independent Department of Plastic Surgery in the country was created at the Medical College Hospital, Nagpur, in 1958 by him. The first summer conference of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India (APSI) was held at Nagpur in 1964.
It has been erroneously stated that Dr Balakrishnan started the first independent department of Plastic surgery in India. It was actually Murari Mohan Mukherjee who started the first independent department of Plastic Surgery in India at the IPGMER and SSKM Hospital (formerly Presidency General Hospital) in Kolkata in 1956, two years before the Department started in Nagpur.
- "History Of Indian Plastic Surgery". Association of Plastic Surgeons of India.
- First plastic surgery department in India, was at Armed Forces Medical College, Pune by Dr. R.N.Sinha.
- "Plastic Surgery". Government Medical College, Nagpur.
- "Department of Surgery: Department Introduction". PGIMER.
- Classification of cleft lip and palate by Prof. C. Balakrishnan; now known as Nagpur Classification.
- Balakrishnan C. (1975) Indian Classification of Cleft Lip and Palate. Ind. J. Plast. Surg. Vol 8, No. 1, p23-24.}