|Original author(s)||Open Knowledge International|
2.8.0 / 9 May 2018
The Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network (CKAN) is a web-based open-source management system for the storage and distribution of open data. Being initially inspired by the package management capabilities of Debian Linux, CKAN has developed into a powerful data catalogue system that is mainly used by public institutions seeking to share their data with the general public.
CKAN's codebase is maintained by Open Knowledge International. The system is used both as a public platform on Datahub and in various government data catalogues, such as the UK's data.gov.uk, the Dutch National Data Register, the United States government's Data.gov and the Australian government's "Gov 2.0". The state government of South Australia also makes government data freely available to the public on the CKAN platform. The Italian government makes available the open data of the Data & Analytics Framework on the CKAN platform.
Future of the project
The Open Knowledge Foundation Board supported the CKAN Stewardship proposal jointly put forward by Link Digital and Datopian. In appointing joint stewardship to Link Digital and Datopian, the Board felt there was a clear practical path with strong leadership and committed funding to see CKAN grow and prosper in the years to come. The Open Knowledge Foundation will remain the ‘purpose trustee’ to ensure the Stewards remain true to the purpose and ethos of the CKAN project. The Board would like to thank everyone who contributed to the deliberations and we are confident CKAN has a very bright future ahead of it. 
Similar projects and alternatives
Dataverse provides similar functions and is widely used for open data.
- "New CKAN version 2.8.0 released, patch versions for 2.5.x, 2.6.x and 2.7.x available". ckan.org. 9 May 2018.
- Rufus Pollock, Daniel Dietrich (2009-12-28). "CKAN: apt-get for the Debian of Data". 26th Chaos Communication Congress. Retrieved 15 February 2011.
- About Datahub
- About data.gov.uk
- "Data.gov Launches New Catalog and APIs". 2013-05-22.
- "New data.gov.au – now live on CKAN". 2013-07-17. Archived from the original on 2013-09-03. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- SA Government data now freely available
- API for search and visualization of open data within the Data & Analytics Framework
- About CKAN at ckan.org
- Statement from the OKF Board on the future of the CKAN Association
- Official website
- Open Knowledge International
- South Australian Government Data Directory
- Commonly Used Open Data Platforms
|This Web-software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|