Commercial and Government Entity code
The Commercial and Government Entity Code, or CAGE Code, is a unique identifier assigned to suppliers to various government or defense agencies, as well as to government agencies themselves and various organizations. CAGE codes provide a standardized method of identifying a given facility at a specific location.
CAGE Codes are used internationally as part of the NATO Codification System (NCS), where they are sometimes called NCAGE Codes. CAGE codes are referenced in various databases of the NCS, where they are used along with the supplier's part number to form a reference which is held on the National Stock Number (NSN) record. This reference enables users of the NCS to determine who supplies any given part.
The information associated with the entities - name, address, phone numbers, etc. - is catalogued in the H4 and H8 Handbooks. The National Codification Bureau (NCB) of each NATO or NATO-sponsored Nation is responsible for maintaining the CAGE code information for entities in these respective countries. There are on the order of 3 Million entities in this catalog, of which around 2.6 millon are US entities.
Within the US, any organization wishing to be a supplier to the DoD is issued a CAGE Code by Defense Logistics Information Service (DLIS), the organization serving as the US NCB. An entity issued a CAGE code must reapply annually to renew it.
CAGE is sometimes expanded as "Commercial Activity/Government Entity", "Contractor And Government Entity", or other, similar variations. However, according to the DLIS website, "Commercial And Government Entity" is the proper term. CAGE was previously known as Federal Supply Code for Manufacturers, or FSCM, which was also the National Supply Code for Manufacturer, or NSCM. On older engineering drawings (pre-1980s) it was labeled simply as "Code Ident No" (Code Identification Number).
In the NCS metadata, the CAGE code's Data Record Number (DRN) is 9250 (or 4140 for NSCM); information listed under this DRN identifies very specifically the semantics of CAGE, its syntax, and the procedures associated with it.
CAGE codes are all five characters in length. There is no meaning encoded in the code itself, other than the underlying NCB; it is simply a unique identifier. The Code Chart provided by the NATO AC/135 committee (the group of National Directors on Codification) provides the syntax of CAGE codes in various countries.
|Country||Code||Membership||Starts With||Ends With|
|NATO||I or S or X||#|
|Canada||CA||Member||# or L||#|
|France||FR||Member||F or M||#|
|Germany||DE||Member||C or D||#|
|United Kingdom||GB||Member||U or K||#|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||BA||Tier 1||A||U|
|Brunei Darussalam||BN||Tier 1||A||V|
|Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of||MK||Tier 1||A||C|
|Papua New Guinea||PG||Tier 1||A||P|
|Saudi Arabia||SA||Tier 1||#||E|
|South Africa||ZA||Tier 1||V||#|
|United Arab Emirates||AE||Tier 1||#||W|
|Korea, Republic of||KR||Tier 2||#||F|
|New Zealand||NZ||Tier 2||E||#|
|Russian Federation||RU||Tier 2||A||F|
- Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) - Issued by Dun & Bradstreet; required for certain US government contractors and Federal grant recipients
- DoDAAC - Issued by the US DoD
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) - Issued by US IRS, tax identification number for organizations and employers
- Military logistics
- Trading Partner Identification Number (TPIN)
- Cruickshank, Michael (August 18, 2018). "A Saudi War-Crime in Yemen? Analysing the Dahyan Bombing". bellingcat.
The five-digit number '94271' is known as a Commercial And Government Entity (CAGE) number and can be searched on an online database of items listed by the US Department of Defense's Defense Logistics Agency (DLA).
- NATO AC/135 Committee (National Directors on Codification) (January 2018). "NATO Codification System Country Codes". NATO.
- NATO AC/135 Committee (National Directors on Codification). "NATO Codification System – NCS the Global Language of Logistics" (PDF). NATO.
- "Business Identification Number Cross-reference System (BINCS)". bpn.gov.
- "CAGE Code Home Page". DLIS.
- Central Contractor Registration at ccr.gov - Broken Link [System for Award Management (SAM) has replaced Central Contractor Regristration (CCR)]
- System for Award Management at sam.gov
- "UK National Codification Bureau". mod.uk.
- "Unique Identification Codes for Federal Contractors: DUNS Numbers and CAGE Codes" (PDF). Congressional Research Service.