California State Route 34
|Defined by Streets and Highways Code § 334|
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length:||13.368 mi (21.514 km)|
|West end:||Rice Avenue in Oxnard|
|US 101 in Camarillo|
|East end:||SR 118 at Somis|
It starts on the west at the intersection of Oxnard Boulevard (Route 1) and Fifth Street in Oxnard. It continues east then northeast on Fifth Street until it intersects Pleasant Valley Road in Camarillo. After continuing east on Pleasant Valley Road a short distance, it turns north onto Lewis Road until the intersection with Las Posas Road at the north city limit of Camarillo where Route 34 continues straight ahead as Somis Road. It ends at Route 118 near Somis. This route originally began in Port Hueneme, but in 1965, the portion from Port Hueneme to Route 1 was deleted. Nevertheless, Route 34 mileposts add on these additional 4 miles (6.4 km) along the signed route.
In 1933, a road from Huneme to near Somis, going through Oxnard and Camarillo, was added to the state highway system. This road was numbered as Route 153 in 1935. In the 1964 state highway renumbering, SR 34 was defined with this routing, ending at SR 118 on the eastern side. In 1965, the highway from Port Huneme to SR 1 was removed from the state highway system. The part of the highway in Oxnard was authorized by the state legislature to be turned over to the city of Oxnard in 2008.
According to the 2003 Caltrans District 7 Master System Plan Status Map, the segment of California Route 34 on Fifth Street and Pleasant Valley Road will be relocated to a north–south alignment beginning near Calleguas Creek opposite the Naval Air Weapons Station, Point Mugu on California Route 1 and ending near the intersection of Lewis and Pleasant Valley roads.
Except where prefixed with a letter, postmiles were measured on the road as it was in 1964, based on the alignment that existed at the time, and do not necessarily reflect current mileage. R reflects a realignment in the route since then, M indicates a second realignment, L refers an overlap due to a correction or change, and T indicates postmiles classified as temporary (for a full list of prefixes, see the list of postmile definitions). Segments that remain unconstructed or have been relinquished to local control may be omitted. The entire route is in Ventura County.
|Oxnard||4.30||SR 1 (Oxnard Boulevard) – Port Hueneme, Ventura||West end of SR 34|
|6.27||Rice Avenue to SR 1 / US 101||Future SR 1; west end of state maintenance|
|10.43||Las Posas Road to SR 1 / US 101 – Camarillo, Point Mugu, Port Hueneme, CSU Channel Islands|
|Camarillo||12.78||Lewis Road, Pleasant Valley Road to US 101 south – Point Mugu, CSU Channel Islands|
|13.60||US 101 (Ventura Freeway) – Ventura, Los Angeles||Interchange|
|Somis||17.66||SR 118 (Los Angeles Avenue) – Ventura, San Fernando||East end of SR 34|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- California Department of Transportation. "State Truck Route List". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation. Archived from the original (XLS file) on June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- CA Codes (shc:250-257)
- California State Assembly. "An act to amend sections 2, 3 and 5 and to add two sections to be numbered 6 and 7 to an act entitled 'An act to provide for the acquisition of rights of way for and the construction, maintenance...". Fiftieth Session of the Legislature. Statutes of California. State of California. Ch. 767.
- California State Assembly. "An act...relating to State highways". Fifty-first Session of the Legislature. Statutes of California. State of California. Ch. 274.
- California State Assembly. "An act to add Section 253 and Article 3 (commencing with Section 300) to Chapter 2 of Division 1 of, and to repeal Section 253 and Article 3 (commencing with Section 300) of Chapter 2 of Division 1 of, the...". 1963 Session of the Legislature. Statutes of California. State of California. Ch. 385.
- California State Assembly. "An act to amend Sections 253, 307, 317, 322, 334, 342, 347, 349, 361, 363, 372, 373, 374, 379, 384, 390, 407, 408, 443, 455, 470, 486, 514, 517, 548, and 550 of, to add Sections 556, 557, 558, 560...". 1965 Session of the Legislature. Statutes of California. State of California. Ch. 1372.
- California State Assembly. " Session of the Legislature". Session of the Legislature. Statutes of California. State of California. Ch. 717.
- California Department of Transportation, Log of Bridges on State Highways, July 2007
- California Department of Transportation, All Traffic Volumes on CSHS, 2005 and 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to California State Route 34.|