|Single by Gold|
|from the album Capitaine abandonné|
|Gold singles chronology|
"Capitaine abandonné" is a 1985 song recorded by French band Gold. It was the lead single from band's second studio album Capitaine abandonné on which it features in an extended version as first track. The song was also available in its main version on the next album Calicoba, released in late 1986. "Capitaine abandonné" was released as Gold's second single overall in January 1986, and achieved a huge success in France where it was a number-one hit.
This song is a tribute to celebrities of sports, adventure and singing such as Arnaud de Rosnay or Philippe de Dieuleveult. The music video shows the group performing the song in a bar where men are playing cards. These images alternate with scenes of navigation, during the refrains.
"Capitaine abandonné" was recorded in a live version on the live album L'Olympia (1997), Le Palais des Sports (1999) and Live 2004 (2004) and was included on Gold's compilations La Compil' en Or (1990) and Les Plus Grands Succès (1995). The song is included on many French compilations, such as Les années tubes spécial 80, Nostalgie Classiques 80 and Tubes d'un jour tubes de toujours spécial années 80.
In France, the single entered the SNEP singles chart at #35 on February 8, 1986, and climbed regularly until reaching the top ten in its sixth week. It finally topped the chart for four weeks, then almost kept on dropping, totalling 13 weeks in the top ten and 24 weeks in the top 50.
Although the song was the most successful one of the band in terms of peak position, it does not remain the most popular in comparison with "Plus près des étoiles" (even if this single was only a number two hit in France).
The song is to date the 318th best-selling single of all time in France.
- 7" single
- "Capitaine abandonné" — 3:54
- "Josy-Ann" — 3:34
- 7" maxi
- "Capitaine abandonné" (extended version) — 6:26
- "Josy-Ann" — 3:34
- 12" maxi - Remixes
- "Capitaine abandonné" (remix) — 6:37
- "Sail Away" (English version) — 3:54
Certifications and sales
|Country||Certification||Date||Sales certified||Physical sales|
|Eurochart Hot 100||26|
|French SNEP Singles Chart||1|
"L'Aziza" by Daniel Balavoine
|French SNEP number-one single
March 29, 1986 - April 19, 1986 (4 weeks)
by Princess Stéphanie of Monaco
- Tous dans le même bateau, track listing and charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved October 7, 2008)
- "Capitaine abandonné", in various singles charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved October 7, 2008)
- Elia Habib, Muz hit. tubes, p. 71 (ISBN 2-9518832-0-X)
- Best-selling singles of all time in France Infodisc.fr Archived November 13, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved October 7, 2008)
- French certifications Chartsinfrance.net[permanent dead link] (Retrieved October 7, 2008)
- Gold certifications and sales in France See: "Les Ventes" => "Toutes les certifications depuis 1973" => "GOLD" Infodisc.fr Archived 2012-03-07 at WebCite (Retrieved October 7, 2008)