Capital One Cup (college sports)
The Capital One Cup is a multi-sport award given to a school to acknowledge athletic success across all sports. Several sports programs from higher-education institutions across the United States are pitted against each other, acquiring points throughout the school year based on how individual sports teams finish in national championships. Sports are divided into two groups based on popularity and pool of competition, with Group B scoring three times the number of points of Group A. There are separate Cups for men's and women's sports.
The Capital One Cup employs a two-tiered scoring system in which certain sports (called "Group B") are valued more highly than others (labeled "Group A"). Schools' performances in the Group B sports earn three times as many points as those in Group A. This valuing of certain high-profile sports over smaller, less popular sports has drawn criticism from college sports administrators. In its seven-year history, the Capital One Cup has revised its scoring structure on several occasions to adjust such factors as the number of tiers, the inclusion/exclusion of certain sports, and the tier designation of the included sports. In previous versions of the scoring structure, more sports were included in higher-point tiers, but with the last revision (2015-2016), only five sports were given the high-value "Group B" designation for both the men's and women's Cups.
The current Capital One Cup scoring structure:
|Group A :||20||12||10||8||6||5||4||3||2||1|
|Group B :||60||36||30||24||18||15||12||9||6||3|
|Group A Sports|
|Indoor Track & Field|
|Outdoor Track & Field|
|Swimming & Diving|
|Group B Sports|
|School Year||Men's Champion||Women's Champion|
|2010–11||Florida Gators||Stanford Cardinal|
|2011–12||Florida Gators||Stanford Cardinal|
|2012–13||UCLA Bruins||North Carolina Tar Heels|
|2013–14||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||Florida Gators|
|2014–15||Virginia Cavaliers||Stanford Cardinal|
|2015–16||Stanford Cardinal||USC Trojans|
|2016-17||Ohio State Buckeyes||Stanford Cardinal|
|2017-18||Stanford Cardinal||Stanford Cardinal|
|2018-19||Virginia Cavaliers||Stanford Cardinal|
- Smith, Michael (March 7, 2011). Cup's Scoring Irks College Sports Execs Archived August 7, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Download Scoring Structure" (PDF).
- "Download 2010–2011 Full Standings" (PDF).
- "Download 2011–2012 Full Standings" (PDF).
- "Download 2012–2013 Full Standings" (PDF).
- "Download 2013–2014 Full Standings" (PDF).
- "Download 2014–2015 Full Standings" (PDF).
- "Download 2015-2016 Full Standings" (PDF).
- "Download 2016-2017 Full Standings" (PDF).
- "Stanford wraps up 25th Directors' Cup, plus Capital One Cup for men, women".
- "COMPLETE CAPITAL ONE CUP STANDINGS 2018-2019" (PDF).
|This article related to sports in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|