This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
Chris Wynters |
Aimee Hill |
Captain Tractor is a Canadian folk rock band, based in Edmonton, Alberta. They play a punk-influenced variant of Celtic folk music, similar to such bands as Great Big Sea, The Pogues or Spirit of the West. Their songs are often rich in local, cultural, and geographical references.
The band's most famous songs have been renditions of the folk music classics "The Log Driver's Waltz" and "Drunken Sailor", as well as a cover of the Arrogant Worms' "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate". They have also developed a following for their brand of Canadian rock, with singles such as "Up the Hill", "Frozen Puck to the Head", "This Is Not a Sad Song", "Another Drinking Song", and "The Bastard of Strathcona County".
Their seventh studio album, Famous Last Words, was released on May 3, 2011. A live record, Live at the Roxy, was released in 2015.
- Chris Wynters - vocals, guitar, songwriter
- Scott Peters - vocals, mandolin, guitar, bodhran, songwriter, driver
- Jules Mounteer - drums, percussion, driver
- Jon Nordstrom - bass, trumpet, guitar, vocals, songwriter. Joined before "Hat Trick".
- Jason Kodie - keyboards, vocals, musical restraint. Joined before "North of the Yellowhead".
- Shannon Johnson - Fiddle, Vocals
Former members include:
- Aimee Hill - flute, vocals. Left after "East of Edson".
- Jeff Smook - bass, vocals, songwriter. Left after "Bought the Farm".
- Brock Skywalker - accordion, flute, guitar, bodhran, penny whistle, harmonica, mandolin, keyboards, vocals, songwriter. Left just before "North of the Yellowhead".
Captain Tractor has released seven albums:
- Land (1994)
- East of Edson (1995)
- Bought the Farm (1997)
- Hat Trick (1998)
- Celebrity Traffic Jam (1999)
- Hoserista (2000)
- North of the Yellowhead (2005)
- Famous Last Words (2011)
- "Live at the Roxy" (2015)
They have also released a video entitled Inconsequential Things in 1998, and an interactive CD-ROM, Bus Madness, in 1995.
Members' solo albums:
- Chris Wynters' Skywriting (Six Shooter Records, 2005) and 2010-1982 (Shameless Records, 2010).
- Jon Nordstrom's Brick and Stone (Independent, 2003) and Waiting for Summer (Independent 2005).
- Former member Brock Skywalker Cerebral Reruns (FrozenPuck, 2004).
- "The Band | Captain Tractor". www.captaintractor.com. Retrieved 2017-03-22.