This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Non-profit Social Network and Health Crisis Information Portal|
|Structure||16 Board Members |
66 Paid Staff as of 2012
|Leadership||Sona Mehring, Founder
Liwanag Ojala, Chief Executive Officer
|Governance||Bill McKinney, Chair of the Board|
|Field||Health Crisis Support|
|Scope||Provide communication portals to families and friends during significant health crises|
CaringBridge is a charitable 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization established in 1997 which allows people facing various medical conditions and their family and friends to communicate. CaringBridge is the first non-profit social network with global reach whose mission is to connect loved ones during a health journey through personal, private websites. CaringBridge prioritizes privacy with no advertisements or selling of user data. People who are provided with an individual's personal website address (URL) and password can read updates on the individual's condition or post messages to the family as needed. CaringBridge is headquartered in Eagan, Minnesota. All CaringBridge sites are free and CaringBridge is funded by donor support. Since its inception, over 740,000 CaringBridge sites have been created by people all over the world.
CaringBridge allows patients, caregivers, families, and friends to exchange information about a patient's medical condition on an ongoing basis. The websites are designed to become conduits between patients, their families, friends, neighbors, and colleagues. When visiting an individual’s website, visitors can post messages of support, donate to GoFund Me accounts, or send donations.
- 1997: Sona Mehring creates the original CaringBridge website
- 1998: More than 50 sites established on the platform
- 2000: Donor support begins
- 2001: Board of directors established
- 2002: Nonprofit status granted
- 2005: Donations reach $1 million
- 2006: More than 5,000 sites established
- 2007: First national media coverage
- 2009: Spanish-language support added
- 2012: 132,000 donors; 110 volunteers
- CaringBridge is a member of the National Health Council.
- CaringBridge is listed as an accredited Better Business Bureau (BBB) charity.
- CaringBridge is affiliated with Community Health Charities of America.
- Prather, Shannon (June 25, 2012). "CaringBridge connects hearts". StarTribune. Minneapolis, MN.
- "Exempt Organizations Select Check". IRS. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- "About Us". CaringBridge. Retrieved 11 July 2018.
- Jonathan Alter (8 April 2007). "Jonathan Alter: Living With Cancer in America". Newsweek.com. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Mehring, Sona (2013). Hope Conquers All: Inspiring Stories of Love and Healing from CaringBridge. Center Street. ISBN 1455523070.
- National Health Council membership: NationalHealthCouncil.org website.
- "Charity Report - CaringBridge - give.org". Give.org. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Community Health Charities". Community Health Charities. Retrieved 24 June 2019.