This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Health Crisis Information Portal|
|Structure||14 Board Members
66 Paid Staff
|Leadership||Sona Mehring, Founder and Chief Executive Officer|
|Governance||Janice Aune, Chair of the Board|
|Field||Health Crisis Support|
|Scope||Provide communication portals to families and friends during significant health crises|
CaringBridge is a charitable 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization established in 1997 that offers free, personalized websites to people facing various medical conditions, hospitalization, medical treatment, and/or recovery from a significant accident, illness, injury, or procedure. The purpose of the platform is to allow family members and friends to receive information about a particular individual. Visitors who are provided with an individual's personal website address (or URL) and password can read updates on the individual's condition or post messages to the family as needed.
CaringBridge allows patients, caregivers, families, and friends to exchange information about a patient's medical condition on an ongoing basis. The websites are designed to become conduits between patients, their families, friends, neighbors, and colleagues. When visiting an individual’s website, visitors can post messages of support.
CaringBridge was created in 1997 by Sona Mehring when her close friend suffered a life-threatening pregnancy. The site was intended to keep family and friends informed about the friend's situation.
- 1997: Sona Mehring creates the original CaringBridge website
- 1998: More than 50 sites are established on the platform
- 2000: Donor supports begins
- 2001: Board established
- 2002: Nonprofit status is granted
- 2005: Donations top $1 million
- 2006: More than 5,000 sites established
- 2007: First national media coverage
- 2009: Spanish-language access is created
- 2010: CaringBridge.org visits top 1 billion
- 2012: 132,000 donors; 110 volunteers
- 2013: Visits to CaringBridge.org total 46 million
The website and mobile apps allow users to make donations, which are termed "tributes", in the name of specific individuals. The donations support CaringBridge and are not disbursed to individuals or families.
2013 – $8,339,743.00
2012 – $7,662,118.00
2011 – $8,535,425.00
2010 – $7,895,101.00
- Connections between different personal groups: Newsweek cover story, April 17, 2007, 
- Prather, Shannon (June 25, 2012). "CaringBridge connects hearts". StarTribune. Minneapolis, MN.
- National Health Council membership: NationalHealthCouncil.org website.
- BBB.org CaringBridge report