This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||20 March 1955 (age 64)|
|Institution||University of California, Berkeley|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
University of California, Berkeley
|Richard L. Schmalensee|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Carl Shapiro (born 20 March 1955) is the Transamerica Professor of Business Strategy at the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the co-author, along with Hal Varian, of Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy, published by the Harvard Business School Press. On February 23, 2011, the Wall Street Journal reported that President Barack Obama intended to nominate Shapiro to his Council of Economic Advisers.
Shapiro served as Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Economics in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice (1995–1996). He is a Senior Consultant with Charles River Associates and has consulted extensively for a wide range of private clients as well as for the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission.
Shapiro was again the Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Economics of the Antitrust division of the Justice Department from 2009-2011.
Shapiro holds a BS in mathematics and a BS in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, an MA in mathematics from the University of California, Berkeley, and a PhD in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Information Rules (Harvard Business Press 1999; co-authored with Hal R. Varian)
- Hal R. Varian; Joseph Farrell; Carl Shapiro (23 December 2004). The Economics of Information Technology: An Introduction. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-60521-2.
- Consumer information, product quality, and seller reputation.
- WSJ Staff (February 23, 2011). "Nomination for Council of Economic Advisers". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- . Accessed 18 Oct 2018.
- Carl Shapiro; Hal R. Varian (1998). Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy. Harvard Business School Press. ISBN 978-0-87584-863-1.
- Berkeley Haas Profile
- FT Interview with Carl Shapiro and Hal Varian
- Scientific publications
- Carl Shapiro publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "Carl Shapiro". JSTOR.
|This biography of an American economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an American business academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|