|Born||27 January 1947(age 74)|
|Alma mater||University of Rome, University of Pisa|
|Known for||Cardiovascular Risk in Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD), Risk factors for CKD progression, Endothelial dysfunction and hypertension in CKD and in End Stage Kidney Disease (ESKD), Epidemiology of kidney diseases|
|Fields||Nephrology, dialysis, epidemiology, hypertension, cardiovascular risk|
|Institutions||CNR (National Research Council of Italy)-Clinical Physiology Institute (Clinical Epidemiology of Renal Diseases and Hypertension Unit),|
Carmine Zoccali (born January 1947) is an Italian nephrologist and a clinical investigator. He has contributed to research in several fields, most notably hypertension and cardiovascular complications in chronic kidney disease (CKD), CKD progression and clinical epidemiology of kidney diseases at large. He is known for his studies on cardiovascular risk in CKD and dialysis patients. He was among the earliest investigators that focused on the relevance of endothelial dysfunction and inflammation for the high risk of cardiovascular disease in these populations. In this research area, he was the first to link endogenous inhibitors of the nitric oxide system with death and cardiovascular disease. and the first to document a relationship between sympathetic over-activity and these outcomes Dr Zoccali is a practicing specialist in Nephrology, with a national qualification for the full professorship in Nephrology. He is also a specialist in hypertension, certified by the European Society of Hypertension (ESH).
He received his education in medicine from the Sapienza University of Rome where he graduated in 1971. He then specialized in Nephrology at University of Pisa. His nephrology mentor was professor Quirino Maggiore, the investigator that in the sixties proposed a special low protein diet (the Giovannetti-Maggiore diet) for the control of uremic symptoms and invented cold-dialysis in the early eighties. Dr Zoccali was trained in clinical research in hypertension at the Medical Research Council (MRC) BP Unit in Glasgow (1981-1982) and Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Erasmus University Rotterdam where he attended several Erasmus Summer School courses in 1989-1993.
He was a Clinical Research Fellow at the Glasgow BP Unit (1981-1982) where he worked with dr Jehoiada Brown, Antony Lever, Jan Robertson, Stephen Ball and Peter Simple on several projects on hypertension. Back in Italy, he worked in the main hospital of Reggio Calabria as Renal Unit vice-director with his mentor professor Quirino Maggiore. In 1991 he became Director of the Division of Nephrology at Ospedali Riuniti di Reggio Calabria (Italy) which he directed till April 2014 and, from 1994 to 2002, Director of National Research council (Italy) - Center of Clinical Physiology associated with the same division. Presently dr. Zoccali is Board member of the MONitoring Dialysis Outcomes (MONDO) initiative and has several international collaborations. Dr Zoccali has authored more than 780 publications listed in PubMed which have been cited >44,000 times. On June 25th 2021 his h-index is 109 ( 72 from 2011)  At the same date, he is ranked as the top European expert in CKD (the 4th on a world scale) and Chronic Kidney Failure (the 5th on a world scale) by Expertscape, a ranking system of expert physicians. He is above the 97,5th percentile among investigators evaluated by ResearchGate In an analysis by Ioannidis et al. across twenty-seven scientific fields, from physics and astronomy to clinical medicine, between January 1, 1996 until December 31, 2017 he was among the 4000 most productive scientists during this period. In Italy, he is ranked as the 26th clinical scientist by Via Academy an independent ranking system of academicians in Italy.
Dr Zoccali was chairman of the European Renal Association - European Dialysis and Transplant Association (ERA-EDTA) Registry (2003-2009) and served the same society as President for the triennium 2017-2020 He is Editor Emeritus of Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation,. Past-member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the ERA-EDTA and the ERA-EDTA European Best Practice Committee. He was the founding Editor of NDT- Educational, the on-line educational resource of the same society. He was also President of the Italian Society of Nephrology in 2006-2008.
Dr Zoccali Dr Zoccali is Editor Emeritus of Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation. He is presently an active editorial board member of the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, (CJASN) Hypertension, Journal of Hypertension, American Journal of Kidney Diseases, American Journal of Nephrology, Clinical Kidney Journal, the European Journal of Clinical Investigation (section Editor for Kidney Diseases), Nutrition Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, Journal of Clinical Medicine, Blood Purification, International Journal of Nephrology and Urology, Clinical Nephrology, Turkish Journal of Nephrology and the Portuguese Journal of Nephrology and Hypertension. He served as editorial board member also other nephrology journals including Journal of the American Society of Nephrology (JASN), Kidney International, Journal of Nephrology (as Deputy Editor in chief) and Nephron.
Dr Zoccali has been the recipient of the 2003 National Kidney Foundation International Award the 2009 International Dorso Award, the 2018 Richard Yu award of the Hong Kong Society of Nephrology and the 2019 Gabriele Monasterio award of the Italian Society of Nephrology. He is a distinguished fellow of ERA-EDTA the American Society of Nephrology and the National Kidney Foundation, and an honorary member of the Spanish and Polish societies of Nephrology. In 2018 he was named Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of Oviedo, and in 2019 had the same recognition by the University of Patras (2019).
- Perticone, Francesco; Maio, Raffaele; Tripepi, Giovanni; Zoccali, Carmine (17 August 2004). "Endothelial Dysfunction and Mild Renal Insufficiency in Essential Hypertension". Circulation. 110 (7): 821–825. doi:10.1161/01.CIR.0000138745.21879.27. PMID 15289371. S2CID 11987668.
- Zoccali, Carmine; Benedetto, Francesco Antonio; Mallamaci, Francesca; Tripepi, Giovanni; Fermo, Isabella; Focà, Alfredo; Paroni, Rita; Malatino, Lorenzo Salvatore (September 2000). "Inflammation is associated with carotid atherosclerosis in dialysis patients". Journal of Hypertension. 18 (9): 1207–1213. doi:10.1097/00004872-200018090-00006. PMID 10994751. S2CID 30430138.
- Zoccali, Carmine; Bode-Böger, Stefanie M.; Mallamaci, Francesca; Benedetto, Frank Antonio; Tripepi, Giovanni; Malatino, Lorenzo Salvatore; Cataliotti, Alessandro; Bellanuova, Ignazio; Fermo, Isabella; Frölich, Jürgen C.; Böger, Rainer H. (22 December 2001). "Plasma concentration of asymmetrical dimethylarginine and mortality in patients with end-stage renal disease: a prospective study". The Lancet. 358 (9299): 2113–2117. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(01)07217-8. PMID 11784625. S2CID 41178487.
- Zoccali, Carmine; Mallamaci, Francesca; Parlongo, Saverio; Cutrupi, Sebastiano; Benedetto, Francesco Antonio; Tripepi, Giovanni; Bonanno, Graziella; Rapisarda, Francesco; Fatuzzo, Pasquale; Seminara, Giuseppe; Cataliotti, Alessandro; Stancanelli, Benedetta; Malatino, Lorenzo Salvatore (19 March 2002). "Plasma Norepinephrine Predicts Survival and Incident Cardiovascular Events in Patients With End-Stage Renal Disease". Circulation. 105 (11): 1354–1359. doi:10.1161/hc1102.105261. PMID 11901048. S2CID 14366282.
- "Directory of Specialists | European Society of Hypertension | Page 45". www.eshonline.org.
- Giovannetti, S.; Maggiore, Q. (9 May 1964). "A Low-Nitrogen Diet with Proteins of High Biological Value for Severe Chronic Uræmia". The Lancet. 283 (7341): 1000–1003. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(64)91919-1. PMID 14129799.
- "Carmine Zoccali". Google Scholar. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- "Chronic Renal Insufficiency: Worldwide - Expertscape.com". expertscape.com.
- "Chronic Kidney Failure: Worldwide - Expertscape.com". expertscape.com.
- "Bio". www.researchgate.net. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- Ioannidis, John P. A.; Baas, Jeroen; Klavans, Richard; Boyack, Kevin W. (12 August 2019). "A standardized citation metrics author database annotated for scientific field". PLOS Biology. 17 (8): e3000384. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.3000384. PMC 6699798. PMID 31404057.
- "Top Italian Scientists Clinical Sciences". Top Italian Scientists Home (in Italian). Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- "Past Council Members".
- "Organization & Governance".
- "Editorial Board". academic.oup.com. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- "Congress ERA-EDTA 2005 - Final Programme". www.era-edta.org.
- "CONGRESSO NAZIONALE" (PDF). sinitaly.org. 2019. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- "Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation".
- "Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology" (PDF). cjasn.asnjournals.org. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- "Hypertension | Editorial Board | AHA/ASA Journals". www.ahajournals.org.
- "Editorial Board : Journal of Hypertension". journals.lww.com.
- "Editorial Board: American Journal of Kidney Diseases". www.ajkd.org.
- "Editorial Board". American Journal of Nephrology. Karger.
- "Editorial Board". Clinical Kidney Journal.
- "European Journal of Clinical Investigation". Wiley Online Library.
- "Editorial Board: Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases". www.nmcd-journal.com.
- "Journal of Clinical Medicine". www.mdpi.com.
- "Editorial Board". Blood Purification. Karger.
- "International Urology and Nephrology". Springer.
- "Dustri Online Services". Dustri Online Services. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- "Turkish Journal of Nephrology" (PDF). turkjnephrol.org. 2020. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- "Editorial board". www.scielo.mec.pt.
- "International Distinguished Medal Recipients". National Kidney Foundation. September 23, 2014.
- "XXX EDIZIONE DEL PREMIO DORSO: sezione RICERCA CARMINE ZOCCALI". www.assodorso.it.
- "Hong Kong Society of Nephrology". www.hksn.org.
- "ERA-EDTA Distinguished Fellow (FERA)". ERA-EDTA. 2019-05-20. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- "American Society of Nephrology | Member Services - FASN Inductees". www.asn-online.org.
- "Historia de Nefralgia" (PDF). www.revistanefrologia.com. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- "Polskie Towarzystwo Nefrologiczne - PTN - O PTN - Członkowie honorowi". ptnefro.pl.
- "Official U of O website". www.uniovi.es. Retrieved 2020-12-27.
- "ΑΝΑΓΟΡΕΥΣΗ ΕΠΙΤΙΜΟΥ ΔΙΔΑΚΤΟΡΑ ΤΜΗΜΑΤΟΣ ΙΑΤΡΙΚΗΣ". University of Patras. September 18, 2019.