Casa Dolores, Center for the Study of the Popular Arts of Mexico, located in the Botiller Adobe
|Location||1023 Bath Street,
Santa Barbara, California
Casa Dolores, Center for the Study of the Popular Arts of Mexico is an art museum located on 1023 Bath Street in Santa Barbara, California.
The center is devoted to the collection, preservation, exhibition, and study of the popular arts throughout Mexico. Casa Dolores houses the Santa Barbara resident and art historian Linda Cathcart’s collection of over 6,000 objects in various media: clay, wood, ceramic, natural fibers, leather, paper, glass, clay, and tin. Many of the pieces displayed in the museum are unique to various regions in Mexico, such as Talavera from Puebla, and Alebrijes from Oaxaca and Huichol art from the western highlands. Collections range from Pre-Hispanic to current day; artists whose works are displayed include Josefina Aguilar, Teodora Blanco, Candelario Medrano, Abelardo Ruiz, Rosa Real de Nieto and the Linares family.
The museum engages with the Santa Barbara community by providing culturally significant programs such as temporary exhibitions, art workshops, presentations, film series, and public events.        
The museum is located in the Botiller Adobe house that was built in 1843, the oldest standing two-story adobe in Santa Barbara. The house was built and owned by the Pascual Botiller family from 1843 until 1969, and was purchased by Linda Cathcart in 2007.
- Kettman, Matt (April 2, 2010). "Come Down to Casa Dolores". Santa Barbara Independent. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- Entre Mujeres (Aug 22, 2012) http://amigos805.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/09-21-12-Entre-Mujeres.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Bilingual report: Casa Dolores to hold Latin American arts & crafts sale on Dec. 7 in Santa Barbara (Dec 2013) http://amigos805.com/bilingual-report-casa-dolores-to-hold-latin-american-arts-crafts-sale-on-dec-7-in-santa-barbara
- Enrich yourself at Museum Day Live! across Santa Barbara (Sep 15, 2014) http://sbseasons.com/blog/enrich-yourself-at-museum-day-live-across-santa-barbara/
- Tree of Life Exhibition at Casa Dolores (2014) https://hotelmilosantabarbara.com/tree-life-exhibition-casa-dolores/[permanent dead link]
- Smithsonian's Museum Day Live! (2014) http://www.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/venues/casa-dolores-center-for-the-study-of-the-popular-arts-of-mexico/?no-ist
- Art Review: ALL DECKS ON HAND: ART SHOW EXPLORES THE HISTORY OF LOTERÍA, MEXICO’S FAVORITE CARD GAME (Aug 8, 2014) http://tedmills.com/2014/08/art-review-all-decks-on-hand-art-show-explores-the-history-of-loteria-mexicos-favorite-card-game/
- UCIRA (Aug 2014) http://www.ucira.ucsb.edu/casa-dolores-presents-%C2%A1loteria-mexico%E2%80%99s-game-of-chance-and-poetry/
- Lotería Cards & Tarot Heritage (Sep 30, 2014) http://tarot-heritage.com/2014/09/30/loteria-cards/
|This article related to an art display, art museum or gallery in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This California museum-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|