The title Countess is sometimes held by a noblewoman in her own right through inheritance, but is frequently held by the wife of a Count or an Earl (the latter title being the English equivalent of the continental European title count). In the event of a bereavement, then it is considered usual to prefix either the lady's Christian name or the term dowager with the title. Following a divorce, then the lady usually prefixes her Christian name with the title.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Countesses.|
This category has the following 21 subcategories, out of 21 total.
- ► Austrian countesses (1 C, 15 P)
- ► Belgian countesses (1 C, 4 P)
- ► Danish countesses (1 C, 9 P)
- ► English countesses (1 C, 246 P)
- ► French countesses (23 C, 77 P)
- ► German countesses (15 C, 138 P)
- ► Hungarian countesses (4 P)
- ► Lists of countesses (48 P)
- ► Countesses of the Netherlands (1 C, 1 P)
- ► Imperial Russian countesses (15 P)
- ► Countesses of Tripoli (9 P)
- ► Viscountesses (2 C, 1 P)
Pages in category "Countesses"
The following 22 pages are in this category, out of 22 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).