|Full name||Catherine Rita Panton-Lewis|
14 June 1955 |
Bridge of Allan, Scotland
|College||University of Edinburgh
Thames Valley University
|Former tour(s)||Ladies European Tour (1979-1995)
LPGA Tour (1983-1985)
|Number of wins by tour|
|Ladies European Tour||14 (7th all-time)|
|Best results in LPGA major championships
|Women's PGA C'ship||DNP|
|U.S. Women's Open||CUT: 1984|
|du Maurier Classic||T21: 1983|
|Achievements and awards|
|Ladies European Tour
Order of Merit
Catherine Rita Panton-Lewis (born 14 June 1955) is a Scottish professional golfer who was a founding member of the Ladies European Tour and won its first Order of Merit. Her father was John Panton, MBE, a professional golfer who played on three Ryder Cup teams.
Panton was born in Bridge of Allan, Scotland. As an amateur, she won the British Ladies Amateur in 1976, winning 1-up over Alison Sheard. Later that year, she was a member of the Great Britain & Ireland Espirito Santo Trophy team. She was captain of the University of Edinburgh golf team in 1976 and 1977, and was Scottish Universities Champion in 1977. She was named Scottish Sportswoman of the Year in 1976.
Panton turned professional in 1978, the same year that the Women's Professional Golf Association was founded as a division of the PGA of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1979 she participated in the first season of the Women's Professional Golf Association's tour (later the Ladies European Tour) and topped the tour's first Order of Merit. She went on to win 14 tournaments on the tour, and also played on the LPGA Tour in the mid-1980s. She played her last full season on the LET in 1995, and has played in some events on the Legends Tour, including the inaugural Handa Cup in 2006.
Ladies European Tour wins (14)
- 1979 (2) Carlsberg (Willingdon), State Express Tournament
- 1980 (1) Elizabeth Ann Classic
- 1981 (2) Carlsberg European Championship (Queens Park), Carlsberg European Championship (Moortown)
- 1982 (1) Moben Kitchens Classic
- 1983 (3) Irish Ladies' Open, UBM Northern Classic, Dunham Forest Pro-Am Tournament
- 1985 (2) McEwans Wirral Caldy Classic, Delsjo Open
- 1986 (1) Portuguese Ladies' Open
- 1987 (1) Portuguese Ladies' Open
- 1988 (1) Bowring Ladies Scottish Open
- Espirito Santo Trophy (representing Great Britain & Ireland): 1976
- Vagliano Trophy (representing Great Britain & Ireland): 1977 (winners)
- Handa Cup (representing World team): 2006
- "Past Amateurs and Golfing Greats - P/Q". Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- Farquharson, Colin (2006-10-27). "LPGA Legends Tour match for Handa Cup in Florida". Retrieved 2007-04-28.