Caversham Lakes is a set of lakes created through gravel extraction between the suburb of Caversham in Reading, Berkshire and the hamlet of Sonning Eye in Oxfordshire, just north of the River Thames and also refers to the sports buildings and facilities alongside those lakes.
The lakes are formed from former gravel pits in the floodplain of the River Thames. The company Lafarge and formerly Redland plc have undertake the gravel extraction though the Sonning Works. Caversham Lakes Trust Ltd has been set up to administer the lakes.
Sport and leisure
In 2006, the Redgrave Pinsent Rowing Lake was added to the lakes in the park. The GB Rowing team use this lake as a main base at which to train. They carry out land-based training at Bisham Abbey and train occasionally close to Nottingham at Holme Pierrepont National Watersports Centre.
Sonning Regatta has been held every two years since 2000 – usually on the Thames adjoining, alternatively, in bad weather, on the Redgrave Pinsent Rowing Lake.
The Thames and Kennet Marina in motorboating also uses an engineered lake (a marina dock) with access to the river Thames.
Fishing is available at no charge on the public stretches of the Thames adjoining, having obtained the relevant annual government licences. It is also available on a paid basis at a few of the lakes which are accordingly replenished with a wide variety of fish.
- Annual Report and Accounts, 2008–2009, Caversham Lakes Trust Limited, Company number 4290188 (A subsidiary company of The English Sports Council).
- "Rowing gets a boost as the £13m Redgrave Pinsent Rowing Lake officially opens". Sport England. 29 April 2006.
- "Some club history". Reading Sailing Club, UK. Retrieved September 5, 2011.
- "Isis Waterski Club". 3 Round Inter Club Slalom. UK: Waterski-AZ.co.uk. 2001. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- "ISIS". UK. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- Ashford, Nick (1964). "Focus on Sonning Water Skiing Club: Clearest Water in England?". British Water Skiing Championships Held at Sonning 1964. ISIS. Retrieved September 5, 2011.
- Philps, Duncan. "Sonning Gravel Pit —Opportunity Knocks". Social and Specialist Angling, UK. Retrieved September 5, 2011.
|This Oxfordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|