Centre for Research in Photonics at the University of Ottawa
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Centre for Research in Photonics (CRPuO) is a research facility at the University of Ottawa in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The center was created in 2002 to study photonics. Photonics embraces the science of light, its interaction with matter, and the technology for its generation, manipulation, transmission and detection. Within the CRPuO there are the Solar Cells and Nanostructured Lab (SUNLab) as well as the Photonic Technology Laboratory (PTLab) among others.
The CRPuO is also in the process of recruiting three more faculty to support the CERC, and is likely the strongest concentration of photonics professors in Canada. Recognising the strength of Photonics at the University of Ottawa, the University is constructing a $55M building (the Advanced Research Centre) to house all the photonics professors and their research groups. The construction is due to complete in 2014.
CRPUO's areas of research
University of Ottawa, 800 King Edward (SITE building)
The CRPuO has grown in the last decade and now counts 13 high research profile professors amongst its membership (1 Canada Excellence Research Chair; 5 Tier I & 3 Tier II Canada Research Chairs; 2 University Research Chairs):
- Robert Boyd (CERC) Quantum Nonlinear Optics;
- Pierre Berini (URC) Plasmonics
- Paul Corkum (CRC I) Extreme Nonlinera Optics (Experimental): Attosecond Physics;
- Xiaoyi Bao (CRC I) Distributed Optical Fibre Sensors;
- Ravi Bhardwaj (CRC II) Femtosecond Laser Machining of Materials;
- Thomas Brabec (CRC I) Extreme Nonlinear Optics (Theory): Many Body Physics;
- Trevor Hall (CRC I) Photonic Network Technology;
- Karin Hinzer (CRC II) Photovoltaics
- Lora Ramunno (CRC II) Computational Nonlinear Optics;
- Tito Scaiano (CRC I) Photochemistry
- Jianping Yao (URC) Microwave Photonics
- Hanan Anis Biomedical Photonics (fibre lasers, CARS spectroscopy, biosensing) & Entrepreneurship
- Henry Schriemer Photonics Nanosystems (Photonic Crystals, Metamaterials, Near-field scanning optical microscopy).
The director of the Centre for Research in Photonics is Dr. Trevor Hall
The following is a short excerpt of awards won by members:
- In 2010, Prof. Trevor Hall was awarded the prestigious SISCOM chair at the Université Européenne de Bretagne.
- In 2009, Dr. Paul Corkum won the Gerhard Herzberg Canada Gold Medal 
- In 2008, Prof. Pierre Berini was awarded a NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellowship 
- In 2008, Dr. Paul Corkum received NSERC’s prestigious Polanyi Award 
- In 2008, Prof. Gregor von Bochmann was inducted as a Fellow of the EIC.
- In 2005, Drs. Nicolas Georganas and Gregor v. Bochmann received the IBM award Pioneer of Computing in Canada.
- In 2005, Dr. Tito Scaiano, a member of CRPUO, was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada.
- In 2004, Dr. Thomas Brabec received a NSERC Steacie Fellowship.
- In 2003, Dr. Tito Scaiano received the Premier’s Platinum Medal for Research Excellence.
- In 2003, Prof. Xiaoyi Bao received the Inventor of the Year Award for Excellence in Research.
- Centre for Research in Photonics at the University of Ottawa Official site.
- Photonics Network Technology Laboratory (PNTL)
- Trevor J. Hall, Director of the Centre for Research in Photonics at the University of Ottawa
- Microwave Photonics Research Laboratory (MWPLab)
- Ottawa Photonics Cluster
- University of Ottawa creates Centre for Research in Photonics. February 5, 2002 Archived February 18, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Advanced Research Complex—Fostering innovation in photonics and geoscience". Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "CRPuO Members". Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Prof. Trevor Hall awarded SISCOM chair".
- "Ottawa scientist honoured with $1M prize". CBC News.
- "Professor Pierre Berini awarded a NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellowship".
- "Paul Corkum receives NSERC’s prestigious Polanyi Award".
- "NEWS RELEASE" (PDF).
- "Drs. Nicolas Georganas and Gregor v. Bochmann received the IBM award Pioneer of Computing in Canada".
- Governor General to invest 33 recipients into the Order of Canada - Citations for the recipients. February 15, 2006
- "Dr. Thomas Brabec received a NSERC Steacie Fellowship".
- "Dr. Tito Scaiano received the 2003 Premier’s Platinum Medal for Research Excellence".
- "Dr. Xiaoyi Bao received Inventor of the Year Award (2003)".