Charles Lee (activist)
Charles Lee is an American environmental justice activist and the senior policy advisor in the Office of Environmental Justice at the Environmental Protection Agency. Previously, he served as the director of the Office of Environmental Justice, and before that, he was the director of the Environmental Justice Program at the United Church of Christ for 15 years.
During the 1970s, Lee was a shop steward with District 1199 hospital workers union
In 1987, the United Church of Christ released a report entitled Toxic Wastes and Race in the United States, of which Lee was the principal author. The report has been described as "groundbreaking" and as "the first report to use rigorous analysis and methods to show how pollution and environmental hazards were disproportionately affecting minority and low-income communities." It had a much more rapid impact than Lee had anticipated: within six years, all of its recommendations had been implemented.
In 2017 he was honored by the House of Representatives in South Carolina and invited to give the keynote address at the University of South Carolina School of Public Health and Department of Environmental Health Services Seminar.
- "Environmental justice leader Charles Lee honored by the State of South Carolina". Moving Forward Network. 2017-04-04. Retrieved 2017-10-07.
- "Here's the history of environmental justice, summed up in less than 4 minutes". Grist. 2014-08-05. Retrieved 2017-10-07.
- Sustainability, University of Michigan: Erb Institute | Business for. "Climate Change Is Not Just an Environmental Issue". www.3blmedia.com. Retrieved 2020-10-19.
- Morrison, Dianne See (2009-11-01). "Rallying Point: Charles Lee's Long-Standing Career in Environmental Justice". American Journal of Public Health. 99 (Suppl 3): S508–S510. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2009.178590. ISSN 0090-0036. PMC 2774201. PMID 19890149.
- Morrison, Dianne See (November 2009). "Rallying Point Charles Lee's Long-Standing Career in Environmental Justice". American Journal of Public Health. 99 (Suppl 3): S508–S510. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2009.178590. ISSN 0090-0036. PMC 2774201. PMID 19890149.
- Berndt, Brooks. ""A True Game Changer": Toxic Wastes and Race 30 Years Later—An Interview with Charles Lee". United Church of Christ. Retrieved 2020-10-19.
|This article about an environmental activist or conservationist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|