Minnifield in a game against the UNC Tar Heels in 2009
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||March 31, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Lexington, Kentucky|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||185 lb (84 kg)|
|High school:||Lexington (KY) Clay|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2014|
Chase Onassis Minnifield (born March 31, 1989) is a former American football cornerback who played in the National Football League (NFL). Despite being projected as a third or fourth round pick, he was signed by the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2012. He played college football for the University of Virginia.
Minnifield attended Henry Clay High School in Lexington, Kentucky. He played defensive back, wide receiver, running back and quarterback. He also played on his high school basketball and baseball team.
Minnifield was redshirted in 2007. As a backup in 2008 and 2009, he had 53 tackles and four interceptions. During his first year as a starter in 2010, he had 48 tackles, six interceptions, and 0.5 sacks. Chase was ranked No. 2 in the ACC and No. 7 in the nation with six interceptions in the 2010 season and was selected as the "Jim Thorpe Defensive Back of the Week" Honor on two separate occasions his junior year. Chase acted as Virginia's main kick/punt return specialist from 2008 to 2010. In 2011, he was used less-frequently as a more "sure-handed" punt returner and was not used more often because of the risk of injury that comes from returning punts and Chase's value to the team.
In twelve games of the 2011 season, Minnifield had 50 tackles, three interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), and 1.5 sacks. Chase's outstanding defense and senior leadership helped lead the Cavaliers to an 8-5 season and Virginia's first bowl game since 2007.
2012 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 10 in||183 lb||31½ in||9 in||4.63 s||1.53 s||2.64 s||32½ in||9 ft 9 in||7 reps|
|Body measurements & bench from NFL Combine; All other values from Virginia Pro Day|
Prior to the 2012 NFL Draft, Minnifield was projected as third or fourth round pick. Although unselected, he was still viewed as one of the best undrafted rookies and received offers from five different NFL teams after the draft. Minnifield, with encouragement from his father, signed with the Washington Redskins on April 29, 2012 as an undrafted free agent. Still recovering from microfracture surgery, it was reported that he was placed on the physically unable to perform list before the start of training camp on July 18, 2012. On July 24, 2012, Minnifield was waived-injured by the team after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament. Due to not being claimed off waivers, he officially went to the team's injured reserve list.
The Redskins waived Minnifield on August 31, 2013 for final roster cuts before the start of 2013 season, but expressed interest in bringing back on their practice squad. The next day he was signed to the team's practice squad. On November 29, he was signed to the team's active roster.
The Redskins waived him on August 30, 2014 for final roster cuts before the start of the 2014 season. After clearing waivers, he was signed to the team's practice squad for the second time the following day. He was promoted to the active roster on September 22 after the Redskins placed DeAngelo Hall on injured reserve. After playing six games, the Redskins waived him on November 4 to make room for Leonard Hankerson on the active roster. The Redskins re-signed him to their practice squad two days later. He was promoted again to the active roster on November 26 after cornerback Tracy Porter was placed on injured reserve. On December 6, the Redskins placed him on injured reserve due to lingering symptoms from the concussion he suffered in Week 13 loss against the Indianapolis Colts. On December 16, the Redskins released Minnifield with an injury settlement.
- NFL Draft Scout
- ESPN.com stats
- Tinsman, Brian (May 11, 2012). "Minnifield: 'I Have To Prove Myself Right Now.'". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Jones, Mike (April 29, 2012). "Redskins add 12 undrafted rookies". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Tandler, Rich (July 18, 2012). "Report: Minnifield, T. Davis to start camp on PUP". CSNWashington.com. Archived from the original on January 20, 2013. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- Tinsman, Brian (July 24, 2012). "Redskins Sign Jones, Waive Minnifield". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- Boyer, Zac (January 12, 2013). "Like Robert Griffin III, Chase Minnifield Recovering From Second ACL Operation". Fredericksburg.com. Retrieved 2013-01-16.
- Russell, Chris (July 25, 2012). "RG III Speaks, We Listen & Redskins Roster Moves". Redskins.ESPN980.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Jones, Mike (August 31, 2013). "Redskins cuts: Tony Pashos, DeJon Gomes, Chase Minnifield among them". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Tandler, Rich (September 1, 2013). "Redskins announce eight-member practice squad". RealRedskins.com. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Jones, Mike (September 1, 2013). "Chase Minnifield, seven others signed to Redskins' practice squad". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-09-02.
- Tinsman, Brian (November 29, 2013). "Cornerback Chase Minnifield Gets The Call". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- Jones, Mike (August 30, 2014). "Phillip Thomas, Chase Minnifield among defensive players cut". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- Keim, John (August 31, 2014). "Redskins sign eight to practice squad". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-08-31.
- Walker, Andrew (September 22, 2014). "DeAngelo Hall Out For Year With Ruptured Achilles". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- Jones, Mike (November 4, 2014). "Redskins activate Leonard Hankerson and cut Chase Minnifield". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-11-06.
- Jones, Mike (November 6, 2014). "Redskins re-sign cornerback Chase Minnifield to practice squad". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-11-06.
- Keim, John (November 26, 2014). "Tracy Porter to IR, Chase Minnifield promoted". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-12-07.
- Jones, Mike (December 6, 2014). "Redskins place Minnifield on IR, call up DB Okoro from practice squad". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-12-07.
- "Colt McCoy Placed on IR; LB Jackson Jeffcoat Signed From Practice Squad". HogsHaven.com. December 16, 2014. Retrieved 2015-01-04.
- Keim, John (December 23, 2014). "Redskins place Trent Murphy on injured reserve". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-01-04.
- The meaning behind Chase Minnifield's name