Cheap Ass Gamer
Type of site
|Bargain Hunting Website|
|Owner||CAG Productions, LLC|
|Created by||David Abrams|
|10,841 (December 2015[update])|
Cheap Ass Gamer (CAG) is an online bbs community which specifically focuses on video game deals. The site was founded in May 2003 by David Abrams, who uses the pseudonym "CheapyD" on the forums. Cheap Ass Gamer or "CAG" has over 700,000 visitors per month and serves over 10 million pages. CAG is heavily dependent on user-submitted deals.
CAG has been host to two video game podcasts, the CAGcast, and CAG Foreplay, but the latter is on permanent hiatus. The CAGcast won the Podcast Awards Gaming category in 2007, was a finalist in the Gaming and People's Choice categories in 2008 and 2009, and was a finalist in MCV's Games Media Awards podcast category in 2007. The CAGcast is consistently listed in iTunes Top 25 Video Game Podcasts.
Circuit City Stores, Inc. v. John Doe, a.k.a. Speedy1961
In July 2007, a user with the avatar "speedy1961" posted information from an upcoming Circuit City Sunday newspaper ad flyer revealing a $100 PlayStation 3 price drop. Weeks later, Circuit City subpoenaed CAG Productions, LLC in an effort to obtain speedy1961's identity. To fight Circuit City, CAG hired an attorney and filed an Objection and Motion to Quash the subpoena. In February 2009, after declaring bankruptcy, Circuit City filed an order of Nonsuit, officially ending the matter, keeping "speedy1961's" identity a secret.
CAG runs community raffles which raise money for the Child's Play charity. In 2012, CAG raised $38,400, bringing the total amount raised since 2004 to $256,140. In 2009, CAG raised over $5,000 for the Extra Life Charity. In 2011, CAGs raised over $24,000 for Japan Tsunami/Earthquake relief.
- "cheapassgamer.com Site Overview". Alexa Internet. Retrieved December 6, 2015.
- "Google Ad Planner - Cheap Ass Gamer".
- "Podcast Awards".
- "MCV Games Media Awards finalists revealed".
- "iTunes Video Game Category".
- "Circuit City Subpoenas Cheap Ass Gamer".
- "Objection and Motion to Quash Subpoena - Circuit City v. John Doe, a.k.a. Speedy1961".
- "Nonsuit - Circuit City v. John Doe, a.k.a. Speedy1961".
- "Texas Children's Hospital - CAG Team Page".
- "CAG Fundraiser for Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Relief".
|This video game article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|