D.L.G Webb aka Chemo
|Birth name||David L. G. Webb|
|Also known as||Chemo, Telemachus|
|Born||21 September 1984|
|Genres||Hip hop, trip hop, downtempo, world|
|Occupation(s)||Producer, Sound Engineer|
High Focus Records
|Associated acts||Triple Darkness, Jehst, Beat Butcha, Kashmere, Jam Baxter, Verb T, Onoe Caponoe|
David L.G. Webb, known professionally as Chemo is an English music producer and DJ. He has also released several albums under the pseudonym ‘Telemachus’. As a sound engineer he has worked at the forefront of the British Hip Hop scene, acting as chief engineer for YNR Productions and High Focus Records. Chemo was recognised by the Guardian newspaper as a man who “has helped British music move along more than most people will ever know”.
2004 – 2011
Named after a fictional DC Comics supervillain, Chemo first started as a producer and DJ for London Hip Hop group 'Frontline'. He helped found legendary Hip Hop night ‘Speakers Corner’ in Brixton. Off the back of Speakers Corner, Chemo worked on albums for Verb T, Kyza, Kashmere, Manage, Jehst, Triple Darkness and others.
In 2007, Chemo produced a compilation album titled Squirrelz With Gunz, alongside World DMC champion DJ Skully. A second compilation of his work between 2007-2011 entitled ‘The Stomach of the Mountain’ was released in 2011.
2011 - Present
Telemachus (born in 2011) is a pseudonym used for Webb’s solo projects and to allow him to be “a little more artful.”. The debut release was a 7" Vinyl entitled ‘Scarecrows’ featuring Roc Marciano. This was taken from the ‘In The Evening’ album which was awarded album of the month by Q Magazine and named one of the albums of the year by The Quietus. Telemachus followed up this album by travelling to North Africa in 2014 to create his ‘In Morocco’ album.
Early productions often mirrored pioneers such as Pete Rock, Havoc, Alchemist, J Dilla, El-P and Rza - eventually evolving into a more nuanced and varied style - “From beautifully shuffling jazz drums to sinister synths to delicately plucked strings, he displays a vast knowledge of music and an ear for off the wall styles.” ]
The birth of Telemachus gave him the opportunity to call upon far wider influences (psychedelic rock, dancehall, blues, West African Highlife) that led journalist Neil Kulkarni to describe Chemo as “an ancient, modern and unique voice in British Music”.
- 2007 - Chemo - Squirrelz With Gunz
- 2010 - Chemo - The Stomach of the Mountain
- 2011 - Telemachus - Scarecrows
- 2013 - Telemachus - In the evening
- 2014 - Telemachus - In Morocco
- 2008 - Triple Darkness - Anathema
- 2014 - Jam Baxter - ...so we ate them whole
- 2015 - Onoe Caponoe - Tales from Planet Cattele
- 2017 - Jam Baxter - Mansion 38
- http://www.bonafidemag.com/telemachus-x-bonafide-beats-40/ Telemachus Mix for Bonafide Magazine
- https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/may/29/hip-hop-westminster-reference-library The Guardian
- http://www.broken-culture.co.uk/telemachus-in-the-evening-review-interview/ Broken Culture Interview
- http://thequietus.com/articles/14145-best-hip-hop-albums-review-2013/ The Quietus Review
Chemo's Hip Hop Shadows Vol 1 Sample Pack http://www.producerspot.com/hip-hop-shadows-vol-1-sample-pack-by-loopmasters