South Side Weekly
|Publisher||South Side Weekly Publishing|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
The South Side Weekly, previously known as the Chicago Weekly, is an American alternative weekly based in Hyde Park covering arts, culture, and politics on the South Side of Chicago. Produced and maintained primarily by students at the University of Chicago, it is printed every Wednesday during the academic year and also published online.
Known as Chicago Weekly News until closing operations in the winter of 2002, a newly branded Chicago Weekly resumed operations in 2003, as a result of a co-publishing partnership with university alumni-founded Newcity. Under this new partnership, a copy of Newcity would come inserted in the middle of each Chicago Weekly issue.
In 2013, the Chicago Weekly staff changed the name of the organization and newspaper to the South Side Weekly, and began publishing independently of Newcity. The publication has since been re-formed as a nonprofit publication as well as a student organization at the University.
The paper promotes arts and culture on the South Side of Chicago through coverage and criticism, and follows South Side news stories that largely go uncovered by mainstream media. It includes feature-length narrative journalism, essays, and a weekly calendar of cultural events.
The South Side Weekly runs an annual showcase issue of South Side neighborhoods called Best of the South Side, which features a long list of unique places and happenings.
Each winter, the Weekly releases a housing guide. The issue features a variety of articles on topics including affordable housing, renter's rights, development, and homelessness.
- "South Side Weekly Media Kit 2014-2015" (PDF). South Side Weekly. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- "About—South Side Weekly". South Side Weekly. Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- Schonwald, Josh (February 6, 2003). "Chicago Weekly News returns with NewCity coverage". University of Chicago Chronicle. Retrieved October 10, 2007.
- "College Report: Rough ride for student rags". University of Chicago Magazine. April 2004. Retrieved October 10, 2007.
- Qiu, Linda (October 4, 2013). "Weekly severs ties with Newcity, charts own path". The Chicago Maroon. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "About". South Side Weekly. September 2013. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "Best of the South Side". South Side Weekly. October 1, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Best of the South Side". South Side Weekly. February 3, 2015. Retrieved February 10, 2015.