Chin Liew Ten
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Chin Liew Ten (C.L. Ten), FAHA FASSA is Emeritus Professor of Philosophy and former Head of the Philosophy Department at the National University of Singapore. Before that, he was Professor of Philosophy (Personal Chair) and Acting Head of the School of Philosophy, Linguistics, and Bioethics at Monash University, Australia. Official university webpage</ref>
He was born in Malaysia, and is a graduate of the former University of Malaya in Singapore and of the London School of Economics. In 1967 he was a Recognized Student in Oxford University under the supervision of H.L.A. Hart. He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities in 1989, and a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in Australia in 2000.
He has published on legal and political philosophy with an emphasis on issues of liberty and toleration, and especially on John Stuart Mill.
He is on the editorial boards of several journals, including Australasian Journal of Philosophy, Utilitas, Journal of Political Philosophy, Bioethics and the Journal of Moral Philosophy.
- Mill on Liberty (Clarendon Press: Oxford 1980)
- Crime, Guilt, and Punishment (Clarendon Press: Oxford 1987)
- The Nineteenth Century (editor) (Routledge: London 1994)
- Mill's Moral, Political, and Legal Philosophy (Ashgate: Aldershot 1999)
- Was Mill a Liberal? (Marshall Cavendish: Singapore 2004)
- Theories of Rights (Ashgate: Aldershot 2006).
- Cite error: The named reference
cvwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).