|Born||December 13, 1973 (age 44)
Chris Ballard is an American sports journalist and a senior writer at Sports Illustrated. Ballard has written books on a variety of sport subjects, including Hoops Nation, which was named one of Booklist’s Top Ten Sports Books of 1998, and The art of a beautiful game: the thinking fan’s tour of the NBA.
Ballard joined Sports Illustrated in September 2000 after working as a sports journalist at the Courier-Post in Camden, New Jersey. His 2012 book, One Shot at Forever: A Small Town, an Unlikely Coach, and a Magical Baseball Season chronicles the story of the baseball team at Meridian High School in Macon, Illinois during its improbable run to the 1971 Illinois state baseball championship tournament. In the October 22, 2012 edition of Sports Illustrated, Ballard wrote a feature article that once again focused on a small town high school baseball team and in particular, the coach, David Warrenfeltz. The story described events that affected the Williamsport, Maryland team in early 2012 when the team’s star pitcher and his girlfriend were killed in an automobile accident. Despite the loss, the team rallied around its coach and proceeded to win the Maryland state high school championship. The 25-year-old Warrenfeltz was also a close friend and Williamsport High School teammate of former Los Angeles Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart who was killed in an auto accident in 2009.
- Ballard, Chris; illustrated by Bob Porter; foreword by Chuck Wielgus and Alexander Wolff; introduction by Clark Kellogg (1998). Hoops nation: a guide to America’s best pickup basketball. New York: H. Holt. pp. xiv, 367. ISBN 0805048774.
- Ballard, Chris. (2009). The art of a beautiful game: the thinking fan’s tour of the NBA (1st Simon & Schuster hardcover ed.). New York, NY: Simon & Schuster. pp. 228 (and 16 p. of plates). ISBN 9781439110218.
- Chris Ballard at Sports Illustrated
- Ballard, Chris (2012). One Shot at Forever: A Small Town, an Unlikely Coach, and a Magical Baseball Season. New York: Hyperion Books. ISBN 9781401324384.
- McMillion, David (May 6, 2012) "Two Williamsport High School Athletes Killed in Wreck on Rench Road - Brendon Edward Colliflower and Samantha Rae Kelly Were Returning From Prom" Herald-Mail Tri-State News 
- Ballard, Chris (October 22, 2012) "Morning Glory" Sports Illustrated, pages 57-68
- "Chris Ballard - Writer Archive - SI.com". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2012-07-29.