Christian Lopez (musician)
Christian Lopez performing at the Razor & Tie Publishing showcase during Americana Music Fest on September 12, 2017
|Born||1995 (age 23–24)|
|Origin||Martinsburg, West Virginia|
|Genres||Folk rock, Americana|
|Instruments||guitar, piano, harmonica, vocals|
|Associated acts||Christian Lopez Band|
Christian Lopez (born 1995) is an American singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist from Martinsburg, West Virginia. He was also the front man and guitarist of the Christian Lopez Band. Beyond Lopez, band members as of 2017 included Jason Navo on bass, and Cameron McClaren on drums.
Lopez has released two albums and an EP in folk rock and Americana style. Americana Music Show wrote that Lopez's lyrics and delivery have "the earnestness and wide-open view of the world that we haven't seen since the early days of Paul Simon." The band tours frequently in the United States, and in 2015 Rolling Stone named Lopez "best newcomer" at the Americana Music Festival & Conference, with the article stating that he "packed so much kinetic energy into his set, and sliced so many strings, that he had to finish on a borrowed guitar."
Early life and Pilot EP (1995-2014)
Lopez was born in Martinsburg, West Virginia, where he was also raised. He started playing music at an early age, learning the piano at age 5 and guitar at age 9. He began songwriting in his early teenage years, and was touring before the age of 16. In 2013, he signed a management agreement with Rock Ridge Music, and in early 2014 the Christian Lopez Band signed a record deal with Blaster Records. Shortly thereafter, he recorded his first release, the five song EP Pilot, which was released in October 2014. Dave Cobb produced the release.
In 2014, the band was selected as one of the winners of the Belk Modern Musician Showcase talent search and invited to join Belk’s 2014 “Modern Southern Music” tour. They performed at numerous concerts including shows by Zac Brown Band, Dave Matthews Band, on the Vans Warped Tour, Miranda Lambert, The Black Lillies, Brothers Osborne, and Marty Stuart.
Onward and touring (2015)
In May 2015, Lopez released his first full-length album Onward. Like his previous EP, it was produced by Dave Cobb (Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton). Popmatters streamed the album on May 12, 2015.
From Onward, the track "Will I See You Again" received over 1 million Spotify streams, and the song "Leaving It Out" remained in the CMT Pure Country "12 Pack Countdown" for a number of consecutive weeks. Rolling Stone called the album "a plucky and occasionally subdued showcase of his Appalachia roots."
In 2015, Lopez participated in West Virginia's "Real" tourism campaign and was featured in a promotional video entitled "Real WV." "Will I See You Again" was used in a second spot entitled "Real Morgantown." Additionally, he has been invited to perform at 2015’s Music Hall Of Fame Induction ceremony as well as the band’s inaugural appearance at Mountain Stage.
Red Arrow (2017)
On September 22, 2017, Lopez released his second album entitled, Red Arrow, this time using producer Marshall Altman, known for his work with Marc Broussard and Frankie Ballard. Guests include Vince Gill's guitar on "Still on Its Feet," and The Milk Carton Kids Kenneth Pattengale's guitar and vocals on "Caramel." Rolling Stone said that Red Arrow "flies straight through multiple eras of rock, pop and country. Organic sounds are favored over electronics, while Lopez's versatile guitar playing provides a millennial take on everything from Eighties rock to timeless folk. Sly, generation-bridging vocals are the common thread, and as interest in Americana rises, Lopez could connect the dots for many young listeners."
The music magazine also earlier named Lopez "One of the 10 New Country Artists You Need To Know".
Christian Lopez Band
- Christian Lopez - guitar, vocals
- Chelsea McBee - banjo, vocals
- Mark Shottinger - bass
- Pete Teselsky - drums
- Ricky Wise - drums
- Christian Lopez - guitar, vocals
- Jason Navo - bass
- Cameron McClaren - drums
|October 14, 2014||Pilot||EP digital download||Blaster Records|
|May 19, 2015||Onward||CD, digital download||Blaster Records|
|September 22, 2017||Red Arrow||CD, digital download||Blaster Records|
- Deutsch, Joni (June 17, 2016). "'Onward' and Upward with Martinsburg's Christian Lopez". West Virginia Public Broadcasting. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- Lavender, Dave (September 7, 2017). "Martinsburg native Nashville recording artist Christian Lopez returning to Mountain Stage". Herald-Dispatch. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- Parton, Chris (July 11, 2017). "10 New Country Artists You Need to Know: July 2017". Rolling Stone 2. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- Parton, Chris (October 21, 2014). "Christian Lopez Seeks Adventure in "Will I See You Again"". CMT Edge. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- Powers, Calvin (May 20, 2015). "Christian Lopez Band - Onward". Americana Music Show. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- Moss, Marissa R. (September 21, 2015). "22 Best Things We Saw at Americana Music Fest 2015". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- Parton, Chris (September 19, 2017). "Christian Lopez on Embracing the 'Young and Stupid' on New 'Red Arrow'". Rolling Stone 3. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- Nicholson, Jessica. "Management Company Rock Ridge Music Adds To Artist Roster". musicrow.com. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Things to do this weekend in NYC Mar 30-Apr 6". City Guide NY. March 30, 2017. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Christian Lopez Band". Music City Roots Radio. November 22, 2017. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- St. Jean, Shawn (November 11, 2017). "Reaching New Heights: An Interview with Christian Lopez". The Country Scene. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- Horowitz, Hal (May 19, 2015). "Christian Lopez Band: Onward". American Songwriter. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- Ezell, Brice (May 12, 2015). "Christian Lopez Band - 'Onward' (album stream) (Premiere)". Popmatters. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- Peel, Adrian (October 12, 2015). "Onwards and upwards: Christian Lopez of the Christian Lopez Band". Digital Journal. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "NRBQ, Eliza Gilkyson, Nels Cline & Julian Lage, Aaron Parnell Brown, and the Christian Lopez Band on Mountain Stage". mountainstage.org. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Casey, Jim (August 1, 2017). "AmericanaFest Announces Final Round of Performers, Including Lee Ann Womack, Reckless Kelly, Shelby Lynne, Allison Moorer, Sam Outlaw & More AmericanaFest Announces Final Round of Performers, Including Lee Ann Womack, Reckless Kelly, Shelby Lynne, Allison Moorer, Sam Outlaw & More". Nash Country Daily. Retrieved 24 November 2017.