December 19, 1958|
|Education||Irvine Valley College|
|Known for||Painting, floral|
Early life and education
Repasy has been painting since she was in the second grade. By age 14, she was painting furniture for friends and neighbors. Her first award was winning a high-school art contest, at Edison High School in Huntington Beach, California. She continued painting soft, French-inspired roses on canvas and furniture. She studied oil painting at Irvine Valley College under artist Chris Gwaltney.
She started selling her pieces at age 28. She uses vintage frames and ceiling-fan tiles for framing.
Her painted furniture and technique were included in an autumn 2010 cover story in Stampington & Company's Somerset Home magazine. She has been featured in four issues of Romantic Homes Magazine, February 2004, February 2009, October 2010 and spring 2011 editions. She was included in a short story and photo in spring 2011 and mentioned in March 2008 issues of Romantic Country Magazine.
In March 2006, the Orange County Register wrote an article about how she applies shabby chic in her works. In 2012, Today's Vintage Magazine wrote about Repasy's original artwork in a "Spotlight" article.
She has painted floral designs on antique and vintage pieces of furniture discovered at flea markets, which become pieces of art. HGTV, in a 2004 interview for its "Country Style" show, included in an article on its site that Repasy's "timeless flower paintings hang in homes around the country." She also appeared on Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic show on the Style Network. Repasy's work has been compared to that of artist Paul De Longpre.
- The Orange County Register', "Still life: A floral painter's shabby chic style," February 18, 2006
- Chris Gwaltney Quick Facts AskArt. Retrieved April 23, 2014
- Christie Repasy's Painted Furniture, Somerset Home, Autumn 2010.
- A Still Life, Romantic Homes Magazine, February 2004
- At Home with Christie Repasy
- Romantic Country Magazine Spring 2011
- Everything is coming up roses for artist - Orlando Sentinel (reprinted from the Orange County Register)
- Today's Vintage Magazine, "Spotlight: Happenings"
- "Wonderfully Weathered: Florals Abound," HGTV, June 2004.
- Village Garden Web, "Christy Repasy and Paul De Longpre roses," April 14, 2009.
- Laguna Beach Art Festival
- Chateau de Fleurs marketplace