|The Right Reverend
|Assistant Bishop of Leicester|
|Diocese||Diocese of Leicester|
|In office||6 September 2009 – present|
|Other posts||Bishop of Northern Malawi (2001–2009)|
|Ordination||1976 (deacon); 1977 (priest)|
|Consecration||22 April 2001|
8 November 1951 |
Birmingham, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
|Residence||St Martin's House, Leicester|
|Alma mater||King's College London|
Christopher John Boyle AKC (born 8 November 1951) is an Anglican bishop. He was Bishop of Northern Malawi in the Church of the Province of Central Africa (2001–2009) and has been Assistant Bishop of Leicester in the Church of England since 2009. His retirement has been announced for 31 May 2017.
Early life and priestly career
Born and raised in Birmingham, Boyle studied at King's College London and was ordained a deacon in the Church of England in 1976. He was ordained priest a year later, one year into serving his four-year title as assistant curate at Emmanuel, Wylde Green. In 1980, Boyle became Chaplain to Hugh Montefiore, Bishop of Birmingham until 1983, when he became Rector at St Mary and St Margaret, Castle Bromwich. While in Castle Bromwich, he also served as Area Dean of Coleshill (1992–1999), Priest-in-charge at All Saints, Shard End (1996–1997) and Honorary Canon of St Philip's Cathedral, Birmingham (from 1996), until his emigration in 2001.
In 2001, he became an Anglican bishop when he was consecrated Bishop of Northern Malawi, following his 2000 election to the post. He served in Africa for eight years before resigning to return to Britain – his successor as diocesan bishop was the first African bishop to serve in that role. He became Assistant Bishop of Leicester, and the first full-time stipendiary assistant bishop, acting as if a suffragan bishop, in the Diocese of Leicester, upon his installation on 6 September 2009.
- The Reverend Christopher Boyle (1976–1996)
- The Reverend Canon Christopher Boyle (1996–2001)
- The Right Reverend Christopher Boyle (2001–present)
- Saint Mary's Messenger, Pentecost 2001 p. 6 (Accessed 26 April 2014)
- "Asst Bishop". Diocese of Leicester. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "BOYLE, Rt Rev. Christopher John". Who's Who 2012, A & C Black, 2012; online edition, Oxford University Press. December 2011. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- Diocese of Leicester — Christopher announces retirement (Accessed 20 January 2017)
- "News: Bishop moves from Malawi to Leicester (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#7643). 11 September 2009. p. 6. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 1 February 2016. (Subscription required (. ))
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Bishop of Northern Malawi
Title last held byJohn Austin
|Assistant Bishop of Leicester
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|