Christopher Smith (academic)
Christopher John Smith, FSA(Scot), FRHistS, FSA, FRSA (born 1965 in Aylesbury, England) is a British academic and classicist specialising in early Ancient Rome. He is the current Director of the British School at Rome and Professor of Ancient History at the University of St Andrews.
Smith was born in Aylesbury, England in 1965. He attended Aylesbury Grammar School. He then attended Keble College, University of Oxford to read a Bachelor of Arts in Literae Humaniores, graduating in 1988. He holds a D Phil also from Keble College awarded in 1992.
His research explores constitutionalism and state formation with particular emphasis on the development of Rome as a political and social community and how this was represented in ancient historical writing and subsequent political thought.
He joined the University of St Andrews in 1992 as a Lecturer in Ancient History and was appointed to a chair in 2002.
President of the Unione_internazionale_degli_istituti_di_archeologia Storia e Storia dell’Arte in Roma from 2012 to 2017
Selected publications & awards
Among his publications are:
- Early Rome and Latium: Economy and Society c. 1000 to 500 BC Oxford : Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1996. ISBN 9780198150312.
- The Roman Clan: The Gens from Ancient Ideology to Modern Anthropology. Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2006. ISBN 9780521856928.
- Christopher John Smith; Anton Powell; Tim Cornell, eds. The lost memoirs of Augustus and the development of Roman autobiography. Swansea [Wales]: Classical Press of Wales; Oakville, CT: Distributor in the United States of America, David Brown Book Co., 2009. ISBN 9781905125258.
- CJ Smith, RJ Covino (eds). Praise and Blame in Roman Republican Oratory. Swansea : Classical Press of Wales ; Oakville, CT : Distributor in the United States of America, David Brown Book Co., 2011. ISBN 9781905125463.
- Peter Derow; Christopher John Smith; Liv Mariah Yarrow, eds. Imperialism, Cultural Politics, and Polybius. Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2012. ISBN 9780199600755.
Awarded Premio Cultori di Roma 2017 by the Istituto Nazionale di Studi Romani 
- "Staff and Fellows". The British School at Rome. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- "Prof. Christopher Smith". University of St Andrews.
- "Appointment to British School at Rome". Keble College, Oxford University. 18 May 2009. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- "New role for Vice-Principal". University of St Andrews. 21 April 2009.
- Christopher John Smith - Research publications - University of St Andrews
- "Premio Cultori di Roma for Christopher Smith""./