|Neighborhood of Madrid|
Chueca is a neighborhood of downtown Madrid, named after its main square, Plaza de Chueca. It is known as Madrid's gay neighborhood.  Plaza de Chueca was named after Spanish composer and author Federico Chueca. 
Chueca is very lively, with many street cafes and boutique shops. Lonely Planet describes it as "extravagantly gay, lively young, and always inclusive regardless of your sexual orientation."
Places of interest
- San Anton Church, which contains the bones of Saint Valentine
- Mercado de San Antón
- Plaza de Chueca
- Museo del Romanticismo
Art in Chueca
During the last years Chueca has become a centre for gay art. The Festival Visible which takes place every year during the Gay Pride, has included works by Jean Cocteau, Wilhelm van Gloeden, David Hochney, Tom of Finland, Roberto González Fernández or David Trullo. Shows such as "De bares hacia la exposicion" by Daniel Garbade in (2011) or the Illustrations : Chueca by Miguel Navia (2014) reflect through drawings and paintings the gay-neighbourhood.
Chueca is a favourite set for movies. Eloy de la Iglesias’s last production: Bulgarian Lovers (2003), an adaptation of the homonymous novel by Eduardo Mendicutti, was shot in the neighbourhood. As were other films such as Truman by Cesc Gay, Boystown by Juan Flahn, Cachorro by Miguel Albaladejo, and Chef’s special by Nacho G. Velilla.
- "Men take on the cobbles in stilettos for Madrid Gay Pride race". elpais.com. Reuters. 29 June 2017.
- SÁNCHEZ GARRIDO, GABRIEL (30 June 2016). "Ocho cosas sobre el barrio de Chueca que seguro que desconocías". elpais.com (in Spanish). El Pais.
- Madrid. Con Pianta. Ediz. Inglese - Anthony Ham - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Orgullo 2015: Exposición de Wilhelm von Gloeden en Café Belén". 2015-06-30. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Daniel Garbade te propone paseo de Arte por Madrid". Odisea. Odisea Editorial. 2011-10-07. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Chueca (Madrid Metro)
- LGBT history in Spain
- Gay village
- Gay neighborhoods in Spain
|This article about a location in the Community of Madrid, Spain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|